[Durham INC] FW: Clarification: Contaminated Dry-Cleaning Sites

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 24 22:22:35 EDT 2009

"Just to clarify (as stated in the site update) one of the 13 sites
(032-0007) _was_ in our cleanup program but was removed when the
property owner refused to cooperate with the program."

I confess that i don't always get it when people talk about property
rights, but how is it possible that a property owner can opt out of a
program like this? Doesn't this kind of  contamination often extend
beyond the property line to affect groundwater that other property
owners draw from their own wells? Is it just a coin toss whether you
live next to someone who chooses to participate or not when it comes to
having con-carcinogenic groundwater?

Barry Ragin