[Durham INC] FW: Clarification: Contaminated Dry-Cleaning Sites

Powers, John john.powers at ncdenr.gov
Thu Jun 25 11:21:35 EDT 2009

Ms. Wible-Brennan

The Scott and Roberts site that you reference has been on hold while we attempt to work out a cleanup agreement with the owner.  The Dry-Cleaning Solvent Cleanup Program is a voluntary program which requires the cooperation of the person responsible for the contaminated site.  If the person refuses to sign the agreement after we have made our best efforts, we refer the site to the Inactive Hazardous Sites Program within the Division of Waste Management.  In that program, the site is placed on a priority list for cleanup.  In the Inactive Hazardous Sites Program, they will be required to clean up the site at their own expense.  If significant threat is posed by the site to human health and the environment, the site may also be screened by the Federal Superfund Program and, if it qualifies for that program, the responsible party will also be required to pay for cleanup.

After speaking to the project manager for this site, the Scott and Roberts site owner has indicated he is ready to sign the cleanup agreement with the program and we should have an executed agreement in the next few days.  We will then be able to start work immediately.

Thanks for your inquiry.

John Powers