[Durham INC] opportunity for Durham families (from UNC Center for Health Promotion & Disease Prevention)

bwatu at yahoo.com bwatu at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 10:10:44 EDT 2009

The UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention is excited to announce the launch of a new project - Parenting SOS: Strategies of Success for Raising Strong and Healthy Families.  We are contacting you in hopes that you may be of some assistance in helping us get the word out to families in the Durham County area about this exciting opportunity. We thought that this project may be of interest to families in your neighborhood.

In brief, the Parenting SOS program recognizes that parents today face many challenges. Trying to juggle work obligations, family demands, and scarce resources can leave parents feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Our program is designed with the needs of these families in mind.  Parenting SOS helps parents of preschool-age children develop new skills to better manage their many responsibilities and reduce stress. We hope that these new skills will also help parents create home environments that foster healthy lifestyle behaviors in their children.

We would like to let families in Durham know about this new opportunity, specifically those with preschool-age children. We are contacting local child care centers, churches, and community groups to request their assistance in getting the word out to local Durham families. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity you use your neighborhood list serve or website to let the families in your neighborhood know about this exciting program. If you would like to talk with a member of our team please call us at 843-0603 or you can email us at myparentingsos at unc.edu. Additional details about our project can also be found at our website: www.myparentingsos.org.

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to hearing from you!

Healthy Families Project Staff
UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
(919) 843-0603