[Durham INC] Contaminated site; be good to yourself; Centerfest comments; list of docs; events

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 21:15:15 EDT 2009

For a list of events (current, long term and permanent) ideas for what to do
to when unwinding see the attachment.

----------

Site Contaminated with Dry Cleaning Solvent

The corner of Club and Watts streets is contmaninated with dry cleaning
solvents. There is a former dry cleaners building on the site that has been
condemned by the City of Durham due to the imminent hazard caused by the
high level of dry cleaning solvents in the air, soil and water. I believe
that this site is an extremely important issue to the Trinity Park
neighborhood, Walltown neighborhood and the neighborhoods north of Trinity
Park (due to that is where the plume of dry cleaning solvents is now
located.) This is only one of fourteen sites that impact all of the
residents of Durham, the former workers at the sites* and the people who
work in the vicinity of the condemned building and the other dry cleaning
establishments that use a particular chemical.

The contaminated property backs up directly to my backyard. The dry cleaners
moved away before I purchased my house. (I have been in the same house for
over 24 years ago.)

I would have been concerned about having a contaminated site in a
residential neighborhood, or if it were located anywhere else, and do not
consider myself a Not In My Backyard (NIMBY) sort of person but this
contaminated site is literally is in my backyard. Given what all is going on
in my life right now I am not sure to the extent I am willing to participate
in the issue.

I informed the Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League (BREDL, a regional,
community-based, non-profit environmental group) about the contaminated site
and they are taking an active role in the issue. (I worked BREDL on an
environmental issue in the late 1980s and have continued to be in touch with
the staff ever since.) Given what else is going on with my life and the
great amount of respect I have for BREDL¹s staff I have chosen not to taken
as participatory role as I might have otherwise. I am rethinking my
involvement in issues of the contaminated site.

Shortly I will send information about dry cleaner solvents and its possible
health consequences as well as the pending bill before the North Carolina
legislature. For information about dry cleaning solvents see
http://www.bredl.org/drycleaningsolvents.htm
BREDL¹s web address is http://www.bredl.org/

*Over the past 20 years there has been a Security Savings and Loan, BB&T and
Tharrington¹s located on this site. A Masonic Lodge was next door to the
contaminated building for over 20 years. A Unification Church recently moved
next to the former dry cleaners. For a brief period of time the Word of
Faith Church was located in this building.

**A Biscuitville and a gas station are across the street.

-----------

Reasons for my emails

I would like to urge you to take time for yourselves, your loved ones and
your friends. (I am especially concerned for activists and their children
and for children in general.)
I believe that ³goofing off² helps people to have a better life. I am
convinced that if people take breaks this can prevent, or at least decrease
the chance of, burn out, enhance their relationships and make the people who
practice taking time off more productive. The way I see it it does not
necessarily take any, or much, money to take care of yourself and the ones
you care about although it does take time.

There are a number of additional reasons why I provide calendar
announcements and offer suggestions. The information includes such subjects
as places to go in the Triangle, classes and performance series. I want to
share what I have learned since I moved to Durham in 1981. Also I like to
promote Durham because I know that Durham has a lot to offer and I believe
the media depicts Durham falsely in a bad light. (My hometown had a similar
reputation unjustifiably too. There are general tips as well (for example
mosquito control, water conservation and energy saving tips and independent
businesses.)

-------------

Commenting on CenterFest

As of now the location is in a parking lot across from Piedmont Restaurant
on Foster St. in the vicinity of downtown. The old location is where I
believe the festival belongs. Some of my reasoning is that crowds would be
more spread out, but more importantly, having the festival in the central
part of downtown Durham is an opportunity to promote downtown Durham. With
the old location it is possible to have more than one stage going with live
music and at one time. Parking lots offer no shade. I believe that here are
other ample opportunities to get people to Central Park. (For more
discussion see the ABCD listserve: ABCDdurham-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.) I
think there is enough time for this year¹s CenterFest to come back to
downtown‹the heart of Durham.

If you agree with these arguments and/or have additional ideas of your own,
please lobby the Durham Arts Council by contacting Sherry DeVries, executive
director of the Durham Arts Council, at  sldevries at durhamarts.org.

I believe that even if it is too late to change this year¹s location that
the Arts Council can and needs to reconsider its position and hold
CenterFest in the streets of downtown and at the CCB Plaza. If enough people
lobby the Arts Council, maybe they will be encouraged to change their
stand‹if not for 2009, then for 2010. When the Arts Council hears from
numbers of voices of people who are dissatisfied, at least they will realize
that not everyone is pleased with leaving the festival at its current site.

---------

Among Some of the Documents Compiled are ---

Independent, Locally Owned Businesses (including galleries for ³window
shopping²)  June 2009
Performances and Music List Serves (summertime & some apply year round)  May
2009
North Carolina & Virginia Places To Go  May 2009
Classes, Workshops, Camps for Children  May 2009
Triangle Places To Go  May 2009
Mosquito Control   May 2009
Water Saving Tips May 2009
Plant Resources (including nurseries)  May 2009
Plant Favorites  May 2009
Restaurants and Cafes  May 2009
Performance Series (year round) January 2009
Energy Saving Tips (Energy Conservation & Efficiency Programs, Energy
Weatherization & Conservation Tips)  January 2009
Groups (for donating time and money, finding paying jobs, networking and
informational purposes)  December 2008
Catalogues (includes more than green and progressive businesses)  December
2009
Classes for Adults and Children  December 12, 2008
Wish Lists for Needy (groups that accept unwanted things along with what
they are most interested in)  November 2008
Triangle Places, Favorites  November 2008
Donating and Shopping for Used Items (as an alternative to Durham city
picking up bulky items)   November 2008
Amtrak Cities Close by (highlights places to see at cities where are Amtrak
stations)  June 2008
Gas Suggestions  June 2008

Please feel free to share these documents.

I have finally begun to take the first few steps to develop a web site,
blog, forum and/or some other format. Once the information has been included
in one of these formats it will include the entire Triangle with Durham as
its central focus.

Laura