[Durham INC] Durham's "Big Sweep" Oct. 3

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Thu Sep 3 08:30:02 EDT 2009

City of Durham

County of Durham

Joint News Release

For Immediate Release: September 3, 2009

For Details, Contact:

Amy Blalock

City of Durham

(919) 560-4123, ext. 11253

amy.blalock at durhamnc.gov

Jennifer Brooks

Durham Soil & Water Conservation District

(919) 560-0558

jbrooks at co.durham.nc.u <mailto:jbrooks at co.durham.nc.us> s

Volunteers Needed for Durham's "Big Sweep" October 3

Annual Event Removes Litter from Durham's Streets, Streams, Lakes, and
Parks; Month-Long Clean Ups Encouraged

DURHAM, N.C. - Residents ready to help clean up Durham should dig out
their work gloves and boots and mark their calendars now for the annual
North Carolina "Big Sweep," coming to Durham on Saturday, October 3,
2009, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

This year's event, coordinated by the City of Durham's Stormwater
Services Division with the Public Works Department, the Durham Soil &
Water Conservation District, along with Keep Durham Beautiful, Inc.
(KDB), will focus on removing litter from Durham's streams, watersheds,
streets, and parks.

According to Dorothea Pierce, executive director for KDB, last year 372
volunteers picked up 10,236 pounds of garbage - an amount Durham's event
organizers hope is surpassed with this year's event.  "We really want
our citizens to volunteer again and help us make a difference in
Durham's appearance, and ultimately, our environment.  Garbage and
litter from our roadways is eventually funneled into our streams and
lakes, which are our sources of drinking water. Anything that is thrown
in our streets and parks ends up in our storm drains and streams, and
eventually the ocean, where it harms aquatic life," Pierce said.  "This
event makes a huge dent in this recurring problem and Durham residents
do make a real difference - evidenced by how our community removed more
than 10,000 pounds of garbage during last year's event alone.  If
volunteers can't participate on October 3, then we are encouraging folks
to pick another day in October to participate."

Durham residents, organizations or groups interested in volunteering for
this year's event should contact Jennifer Brooks, watershed
conservationist with the Durham Soil & Water Conservation District, at
(919) 560-0558 or at jbrooks at co.durham.nc.us.   Volunteers can also
register on KDB's Web site at
www.keepdurhambeautiful.org/big-sweep/index.html.

North Carolina Big Sweep was founded as Beach Sweep in 1987.  In 1989, a
public-private partnership officially became Big Sweep, the nation's
first statewide waterway clean-up. Since its founding, North Carolina
Big Sweep has had more than 200,000 volunteers and collected millions of
pounds of trash from North Carolina watersheds.  To learn more about
this organization or this year's upcoming event, visit
http://www.ncbigsweep.org <http://www.ncbigsweep.org/> .

###

Local media interested in covering any of the cleanup events on October
3 should contact Jennifer Brooks, watershed conservationist with the
Durham Soil & Water Conservation District, at (919) 560-0558, (919)
730-4703 (cell) or jbrooks at co.durham.nc.us for location and meeting time
information.