[Durham INC] Jordan Lake Protest Petition Suit -- We need your HELP!!!

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 15:43:57 EST 2009

PLEASE DONATE TO THE JORDAN LAKE PROTEST PETITION SUIT FUND TODAY! WE NEED $10,000 BY MONDAY FOR OUR ATTORNEY TO START WORK ON THIS CASE (which must be filed by December 11)!!!

Write a check (put 'Jordan Lake Protest Petition Suit' in the memo) to "Ragsdale Liggett
Trust Account" and mailing it to Ragsdale Liggett, PLLC, Post Office Box 31507,
Raleigh 27622

OR pay by credit card to mmr121570 at yahoo.com ; indicate the payment is for 'other'; and write in
"Jordan Lake Protest Petition Suit."

You will receive a written receipt.

See below for more details. Detailed history of this Jordan Lake rezoning (with Internet references) also attached.

Thanks so much for continuing to put your concerns, time and money where your hearts are :)

XOXO,

Melissa Rooney

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melissa Rooney, Ph.D.

301 Spring Garden Drive

Durham, NC 27713

mmr121570 at yahoo.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may have read that the Planning Department has reversed itself, now saying that the protest petition (against the Jordan Lake Watershed Rezoning) was always valid. Thus, the rezoning should never have passed:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/bullseye/jordan-petition-must-go-to-court-siler-says

http://wbx.me/l/?p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indyweekblogs.com%2Ftriangulator%2F2009%2F11%2F19%2Fwhats-next-court-durham-county-attorney-says%2F

The County Attorney has dug his heels in, however, and is requiring petitioners to sue the County to reverse the rezoning, even though the County has admitted its error.

If we don't take this thing to court, what is to prevent the county from declaring a protest petition invalid for any rezoning they favor, and afterward ruling the protest petition valid when they claim it is too late to apply it to the vote/decision? And of course, there is the initial need to at least maintain current protections for Jordan Lake!

To that end we have retained Jim Conners, a local attorney. In order for Jim to start work, we need to raise $10,000 for a trust fund that has been set up to pay the court costs. In less than 24 hours, we have acquired reliable pledges for $1700.00.  But the deadline to file this suit is December 11, and to start work on the suit we need the funds by THIS MONDAY!

Please donate as much as you can by writing a check (put Jordan Lake Protest Petition Suit in the memo) to "Ragsdale Liggett
Trust Account" and mailing it to Ragsdale Liggett, PLLC, Post Office Box 31507,
Raleigh 27622

If you'd rather, you can write the check to me, Melissa Rooney and send it to:
Melissa Rooney
301 Spring Garden Drive
Durham, NC 27713

Alternatively, you can pay by credit card to my paypal account. Just make payment to mmr121570 at yahoo.com ; indicate the payment is for 'other'; and write in "Jordan Lake Protest Petition Suit." I receive no other paypal payments, so anything paid to my paypal account will go straight to the fund (which will be set up ASAP).

Donations of $100 or more will be refunded in whole or in part if the county is required to pay our court costs once we win this case (and with the planning director's ruling of the protest petition as VALID, we have a strong case). In this case, donations under $100 will be given to the HRA (Haw River Assembly) for the future maintenance and protection of Jordan Lake.

All donations will receive a written receipt (by email or by postal mail).

I'd appreciate it if you'd send me a quick email to let me know what you have sent, so that we can have an idea of where we stand financially before the payments arrive by post: mmr121570 at yahoo.com