[Durham INC] SW Durham Community Awareness -- Parkwood shopping center

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 21:51:09 EST 2009

... in today's Herald Sun:

http://heraldsun.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Shopping+center+future+up+in+the+air%20&id=4940702-Shopping+center+future+up+in+the+air&instance=homesecondleft

... More news (or lack thereof) with regard to the Parkwood Shopping Center. It is past time for SW Durham, and particularly the Parkwood area, to have a Rec center. And we shouldn't have to drive all the way up 54 and 55 to Alston Ave to get to it (like we'll soon have to do to reach our nearest library).
 All of Durham deserves consistency wrt the city's supposed planning policies on in-fill development and pedestrian & greenhouse-gas-friendly development. A quick drive down Fayetteville Road to 54 and 55, and you can easily sense the double standard.

Building a rec center at the soon-to-be completely vacant Parkwood Shopping Center is  in-fill development at it's best.

It may be a good time to contact the Durham mayor, city council and city manager with your concerns:

council at ci.durham.nc.us,

Tom.Bonfield at durhamnc.gov

 (remove any spaces that may have been put in the above email addresses during transit)

--Melissa (Rooney)