[Durham INC] Alternative gift giving ideas

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 15:12:53 EST 2009

Gift giving ideas

An alternative to giving gifts for holidays, birthdays and other special
occasions is to make a contribution to a non-profit organization in honor of
a loved one, family member, friend or co-worker (revised document coming
soon).

I believe that it is good to take advantage of the live performances and
classes. With that in mind one could consider: giving a ticket or a gift
certificate towards a live performance,* paying for someone to take a class
or helping someone pay to exercise by buying an exercise pass at the public
recreation facilities or a month membership at a health club.

If you are going to shop I urge you to support local, community-owned,
independent businesses.** My wish is for people to start developing new
shopping patterns. Shopping independents helps to boost our economy.

Plants make excellent presents too.

I normally do not like to shop via catalogues but I will occasionally make
exceptions when I especially they sell things that I do not know where to
purchase elsewhere or when I am extremely busy. The catalogues document
includes businesses that sell political and green items.

Another possibility is to visit a place together.

I suggest people give the holiday presents they do not desire to groups that
accept in-kind donations.

Documents and dates sent
Amtrak Cities Close by (highlights places to see at cities where are Amtrak
stations)  June 22, 2008
Catalogues (includes more than green and progressive businesses) December
20, 2009
Classes, Workshops, Camps for Children  May 19, 2009
Classes for Adults and Children  December 12, 2008
Independent, Locally Owned Businesses (including galleries)  June 4, 2009
Donating and Shopping for Used Items  November 6 or 10/23/2008
Green & Progressive Catalogs June 18, 2009
Groups  December 26, 2008
Holiday Wish List  December 12, 2009
Kids and Young at Heart Activities August 3, 2009
List serves & Calendars Triangle June 12, 2009
North Carolina & Virginia Places To Go  May 19, 2009
Performances and Music List Serves (summertime & some apply year round)  May
28, 2009
Plant Resources (including nurseries)  May 8, 2009
Plant Favorites  May 8, 2009
Restaurants and Cafes May 7, 2009
Shopping Independent Businesses  June 4, 2009
Triangle Places, Favorites  November 25, 2008
Triangle Places   May 15 or May 9, 2009
Wish Lists for Needy (groups that accept unwanted things along with what
they are most interested in)  November 25, 2008

---------

* ³Š I have seen audiences shrinking everywhere. The fabulous riches of
theater and dance that we now enjoy in North Carolina will diminish just
like our retirement accounts if we don't GO. Sure, all the companies want
your cash for operating support, but without bodies in the seats, there will
be nothing to operate.² Kate Dobbs Ariail

** I want to encourage Triangle residents to support locally owned,
independent businesses. My wish is that the list provide independents with
more business and help create new shopping patterns.

Shopping independents helps boost our local economy. Department, chain and
discount stores are really hurting independent shops and locally owned
businesses. The impact on businesses varies by county within the Triangle.
Tom Campbell, co-owner of the Regulator Bookshop, told me that as of 2004
³for every $100 you spend at the Regulator Bookshop [and other independent
bookstores] $45 stays local. For every $100 you spend at a chain bookstore
$13 stays local. For every $100 you spend through a catalogue nothing stays
local.² The study Campbell cited was completed by Civic Economics. Campbell
continued, ³while the numbers may be slightly different, the patterns remain
true for all locally owned businesses.²

Laura