[Durham INC] pothole and other reporting

Randy Pickle rwpickle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 01:31:01 EST 2010

Maybe you read the press release (sent to this list earlier in the week and
published in the newspaper on Sat.) asking us citizens to report potholes.
Well here's a much better idea for the City to try. Why not have the City
workers, who travel all the roads in the City in a weeks time, do it. I
believe they all have communication equipment with them.

Fleet Maintenance says they service some 2100 vehicles used in the business
of "City". They say 500 are Police cars; so lets forget about the Police
doing any reporting, they need to fight crime. And let's just get rid of
another 600 vehicles as being out of service, fire protection or otherwise.
That leaves 1000 vehicles a day that are out there driving around our fair
City. If in a 5 day period, each vehicle reported only one pothole, Public
Works wouldn't be able to even keep up with it. That would be 5000/week! If
they also reported one ordinance violation a day, that would be 5000 of
those a week as well

Get them to report trash cans left at curbs, weedy lots, illegal dumping,
graffiti, unregistered vehicles (I'm sure the list goes on...) and any
number of other violations they come across as they cris-cross the City on a
daily basis. Even train them in what the violations list might look like (or
just hand them a print out of simple-common ones with pictures if reading is
an issue). After all, we're already paying them and they do work for the
City. Wouldn't it make our City look a lot better? Our City workers from the
various departments see much more of this City on a weekly basis then most
of us would in months. Let's put them to work reporting some of these City
violation/pot hole issues and get this City back on track.

RWP
27 Beverly