[Durham INC] Pls send short email by Wed (industry sprinklingaround $100

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 22:23:28 EST 2010

Mike

Hate to disagree with you, so I'm glad it happens so rarely. Let me answer
your last question first:
"Do we want to pass up the opportunity to talk about them first?"

We HAVE talked about them. And Durham has already voiced it's collective
desire to pass on this opportunity. We have REJECTED this  medium starting
over two decades ago, and continuing more recently to  include the new
electronic option.

Personally, I view the discussion finished a few months ago, because the
PEOPLE had made their decision and at a 9 to 1 margin, to boot. We CITIZENS
voiced our desires in our usual bullish manner, and all that's left is the
formality of our elected officials voting (one hopes) in a manner
consistent with the obvious preference of the constituents, we, the  citizens who
elected them.

Fortunately, Durham citizens have never found it difficult to make our
opinions heard, and our elected representatives have usually displayed good
hearing ability. The people spoke so LOUDLY, out of every ten of us, nine said
 NO!  (Trying not to flame you Mike!)

There's really no need to take this point by point, because we've already
decided. Otherwise, to your suggestion .."You could learn about what's
playing  this weekend at the BPAC,....along with local events all on one
billboard  over the course of a few minutes". True, but I'd have to imagine you
pulled off  to the side of I-85 watching it like a drive in movie.

To your contention, "These 'new' billboards are more efficient than the old
 ones (less maintenance)", True again, Mike!  But aside from a minor energy
 savings locally, all of that benefit goes to the Georgia company proposing
the  law change. That Georgia company isn't trying to help Durham, it's
trying to  help itself, which is understandable, but their savings is no
motivation to  Durham citizens.

To your suggestion that these, "'alerts' that are much more meaningful
than 'call 411 for more information'." Very True, and totally agree, and this
one point is so strong regarding Amber and Silver Alerts, that I felt it
gave  good justification for this Georgia firm to make the same tired request
of the  people of Durham again, as they have several times over the past
couple decades.  Truthfully, Durham is a little tired of hearing from them, but
I felt that the  possibilities that this instant communication ability
opened up gave that  Georgia company a reasonable platform, a good reason to make
their case once  again. So strongly, in fact, that I tried to help build
that platform, and  opposed those who said we shouldn't listen to them. This
point, and your next,  gave me good reason to pause and authentically
consider the possibility.

That, and the possibility "that includes opportunities for charities and
non-profits to get advertising space that is sorely needed", were both points
 that made me authentically want to hear what the company had to propose
and  literally fight for their opportunity to speak!  But they've spoken, and
we  the people have reached a collective conclusion, and now I hope they are
as  diligent listening to us, as we were them.

We did a pretty good job focusing on the possibilities, while we  ignored
their attempts to tip the scales by making contributions to the  campaigns of
our LOCAL elected officials. Or should we believe these folks  really care
about who is elected in Durham? Perhaps some of our non-profits  benefited
from some free billboard space, but it didn't happen because the  company
cared about us, they had specifically asked our elected officials for  the
names of their favorite non-profits, then ran to those and offered them free
space... perhaps to endear themselves to the elected officials.

Should we fault a company for using every legal means possible to effect
their bottom line? Nope, in fact we should expect it.  Should we  allow
today's donation to a Durham nonprofit to decide the appearance of  our highways
50 years from now? Nope. Not in the least. Should we judge a  company's
character or generosity, from any donations made for those reasons?  Nope. So
what can we look at?

As someone who has approached this company  on at least two different
occasions years ago, on behalf of two completely  different nonprofits, looking
for free billboard advertising.... and during  times when the company would
gain absolutely zero political benefit from  providing the gift... both times
Fairway Advertising said YES. In one case  donating nine billboards for an
extended campaign, and in both cases their  donation helped Durham!  So I'm
personally of the impression that Fairway  is a good company. Should we say
yes to every request we get from good  companies? No.

Are we making a mistake not to grab this opportunity?  Maybe. But we  can
change the law this direction any year we wish, unfortunately, we can never
reverse it. If it is Pandora's Box, and we open it, it will remain open
forever.  If we ever allow electronic boards, then later change our minds, we'd
pay the  company for the value of thousands of ads per day, running for
decades. That's  unimaginable money. And that could happen just because we need
the land for a  future purpose.

At least it's a conversation we get to have here in Durham, mostly thanks
to InterNeighborhood Council taking the original stance over 20 years ago,
and  helping to craft our current laws. That's why we talk about this
possibility,  while Burlington woke up one day and there they were!  Sometimes I
wish Durham could talk like a sweet little lamb, especially to a good company
 like Fairway. It would gently whisper, "Sorry, no thanks this time... but
thank  you for the help you provided our nonprofits while you made your
case, and  thanks for helping our best candidates win re-election, and thanks
for  understanding. Bye now"

But we're not the Lamb City, we're the Bull City.... so that comes out more
 like: "NO!  And what part of that word don't you understand!?"

I'm so much longer winded than either lambs or bulls, but I'd tell the
Billboard industry in regards to it's Durham effort: "It was pretty much over
weeks ago.  You're a good company, but the good people of Durham made  their
decision and voiced it, and we have good elected officials who are about
to ratify our collective decision, in a prefect display of how a Democracy is
 supposed to work. You can hold out some hope, it doesn't always work here.
So  good luck, and see you later. We know there will be a next time, we'll
see  you then.

Bill  Anderson

In a message dated 3/1/2010 3:58:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,