[Durham INC] Stick with the status quo and that's what you have to live with

M. W. Shiflett - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 19:07:43 EST 2010

I don't believe I've ever said that I have taken a unanimous decision 'for
electronic billboards'.   What I've posted were what some (including myself)
feel are positives.

There are also many negatives.

The ordinance, as it currently stands, chains us to the possibility of many
of the same blighted old billboards in and around our neighborhoods,
churches, recreational areas and schools to remain (quite possibly for
decades more) in place.

I've attempted to get people to find a way to remove them by mitigating the
negatives, that so many neighborhood groups and associations seen as reasons
to support the status quo.

Over the past several months there's been discussions (mostly against them).
All I have said is that there are some advantages to them that have been
left out of those postings.  The Times article mentions a few of them,
however.

All I have advocated for is a balanced debate.

For this, I have received many emails.  Some friendly and understanding,
others accusatory and degrading.

I don't appreciate having words substituted for what I posted.

I have not mislead people in this effort.  I only asked them to consider
each side of the issue.

As someone not running for office,  I have not been lobbied or paid/received
ANYTHING from the billboard industry or any of their employees.  I certainly
didn't appreciate the innuendo that I had.

But I have seen how many non-profits and neighborhood volunteer groups have
struggled thru financially tough times recently.   I had hoped that there
was a compromise that could be worked out the might benefit them and, as an
added benefit, bring attention to some of the more interesting
happenings/events in Durham to those 'just driving thru'.

Some have seen that there was a good argument for Public Announcements using
electronic billboards as emergency alert mechanisms, but not as many who see
these as added distractions.   I understand this but don't agree that Amber
and Silver Alerts can't be improved upon.

It'd been helpful if someone could have incorporated these into the mix,
besides me along the way.

Finally, I appreciate the ground swell of support for keeping things the way
they are.   I was just hoping that we could get more out of it.

mike

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a
question without debating it."
--Jeseph Joubert