[Durham INC] Stick with the status quo and that's what you have to live w...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 20:15:21 EST 2010

Mike

I took some of that same heat while I tried to keep the microphone open
while the discussions were ongoing.
I still disagree with those who felt that we shouldn't listen to the
billboard industry, claiming we should reject them before they opened their
mouths.

These were mostly folks I respect, and had never seen them so close minded
before. So I asked them why.

Many felt that discussions were expensive, usually involving lawyers. But
the most logical argument I heard was that any promises both you and I saw
as  great benefits to Durham, were impossible to incorporate into the laws
that  would then cover these billboards. The company could make promises, but
there  was no legal means of making them keep their promises.

I view the company as a decent community minded firm, as I have said in
past posts, but the consequences of changing this law will follow us 50-100+
years into the future. While I think the company would keep it's word in the
 short run, there's no telling how long that will last. New management
could take  over one day and kick everyone out of the pool who isn't paying.

So in walking away from that portion of the deal (the donating of ad space
to nonprofits) was really walking away from an unknown, and unstable, and
most  likely short term benefit. But I still gave weight to other benefits
that were  concrete and real.

One was that Durham needs the business that these can generate. Hungry
travelers on I-85 will have to stop somewhere, and the cities on either side of
 us will be flashing pictures of juicy burgers at them. I have little doubt
that  the "city of foodies" won't attract as many of those hungry people,
even if our  food is better. We need that business, and the restaurant owners
among us  probably had a harder time saying no than the rest of us. Same
goes for Hotels,  and all the other businesses that feed off customers that
travel through.

It's a trade off, we all need money, but we're not willing to put up an oil
 rig in our front yard to get it, it would just be too ugly.

The next hardest one for me to walk away from was the Silver & Amber
Alert, and other crime fighting possibilities. I can imagine all sorts of uses,
if, and a big if here, if the company would maintain a deal with our Police
and  Emergency Communications.

To your concern for the "fugly" older style billboards that are being
poorly maintained, look at those through my eyes.... they are beautiful!   The
reason is legal talk that I hate to try to relay, but as I understand
"Nonconforming" use.... it means that if any of those old billboards require  more
than 25% of their value repairs during any calendar year, they are totaled
(have seen the end of their useful lifetime) and they must be taken down
and NOT  replaced. So eventually, we'll be seeing the woods and fields and
natural stuff  as we drive down the road. It might take 50 years, but imagine
how different  Durham will look to those driving through if our roadways are
almost void of  advertising. You might be wanting to pull off the highway
and visit this quaint  city.

That 25% repair per year is also what will allow some billboards to remain
a long time, perhaps until a tornado rips through and does more than 25%
damage  to them.
Some of the billboard companies replace one of the four wooden poles more
often than needed, just to make sure they never rot, doing that on a
rotation  would conceivably produce a sign that is only seven years old on it's
oldest  part, and might last forever. So I like the ones that are in disrepair,
because  there will be a view of the woods there sooner. Not that I'm
against  advertising, I've used billboards myself to promote nonprofits, but I'd
rather  see trees.

You're not alone in stating those benefits, I've stated them before, too.
And I'm still in 100% agreement that this issue is worth an open dialogue,
where we look at both the negatives AND the positives. But I also still
think  that dialogue has already occurred.

Bill  Anderson

In a message dated 3/2/2010 7:08:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,