[Durham INC] let's help the City with ideas...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 13:31:44 EST 2010

That's actually Cheryl Shiflett's suggestion that Melissa and Matt
applauded, and to which I join the ovation.

I certainly hope Randy was kidding about the idea of selling Durham's most
historic park, and suspect part of the reason for such a tepid response
from this well informed "collective unit", as he calls it, are the original
instructions "Send me your ideas.... and I'll forward them on to their
targeted  individuals."

Why should we send our ideas to Randy? This collective unit knows which
department their ideas target, and between emails and listservs, and Coffees
w/Council, we have ample opportunity to make suggestions directly to those
in  charge. Why would we send them to Randy Pickle to see where they go?

In fact, the city recognizes the abundance of good ideas floating around in
 our collective heads, and helped organize the neighborhood workshop that
Pat  speaks of, just to harvest some of the fruit of that think tank.
I wasn't able to attend, but am unsurprised at one of the  other great
suggestions that resurfaced.  Pat stated, "For  example, maybe Parks and Rec
needs fewer doers and more people who can organize  the community to do stuff."

That idea first surfaced when the city paid dearly for the ten year master
plan for Parks and Rec back in 2003. One component of that plan was a
survey of  the citizen's recommendations, and partnering with neighborhoods to
revitalize  our existing facilities ranked 50% higher than our desire for more
play grounds  and equipment. Sadly, as Pat also pointed out, it's just too
damned  difficult.

Until Parks & Rec truly embraces that plan, it will remain difficult,  if
not impossible. As valuable as that advice is, the opportunity to partner is
drastically limited. Out of over 200 neighborhoods, only about a half dozen
are  qualified by having attained a nonprofit status that (as I understand
it) is  required. Those neighborhoods include Woodcroft, WHHNA, Forest
Hills,  Trinity Park and Duke Park, by way of Duke Park Preservation Initiative
(DPPI).

As the recently elected President of DPPI, I'm still struggling to get a
lease with the city signed after four years with a draft on the table, that
would permit the neighborhood to attend to the long neglected Bath House,
and  supply reasonable bathrooms to go along with our intensely popular
playground.  The kids (and parents) are still using the bushes, and the lease
remains  unsigned, the hold up, of course, is money. Money that would have been
a great  deal easier to find four years ago.

That lack of money should be the reason we, as a City, should pursue this
solution aggressively, not an excuse for avoiding it. An excellent
illustration occurred last year, and the result was the City and the citizens  both
getting what they wanted, and at an unknown savings to boot. The mutual
desire was the completion of a walking trail, Parks & Rec just didn't have  the
money to complete it  ~ they thought.

They did have the money for the materials, just not the labor.  One single
Parks & Rec employee, Rebecca Radke (spelling?) should be  commended for
suggesting a neighborhood work day. She brought the materials, and  50
neighbors turned out to help install them! Boom, instant trail, all thanks to  one
city employee and the eager hands of the citizens.

In these tight economic times, we should see a lot more of that kind of
cooperation. I have other ideas, but that one stands the tallest. No need to
forward it anywhere, Randy, but thanks for the offer, I'm working directly
with  the City staff.

Bill  Anderson
President DPPI

In a message dated 3/6/2010 11:33:16 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,