[Durham INC] Clarification regarding the 751 Assemblage rezoning (PC, April 13)

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 22:14:30 EDT 2010

It appears I have caused some confusion with my previous email regarding the 751 Assemblage rezoning hearing (at the Planning Commission on April 13).

Let me clarify my position:

The best thing is for this rezoning
to be turned down. The last thing Durham, especially South Durham,
needs is a monstrous new retail center, particularly in a clearly
environmentally sensitive area like this one (which SHOULD STILL be the Jordan
Lake Watershed protected area).

However, if there is no avoiding it (and I truly hope there is), then
it only makes sense to hold the developers to their stated intentions
of providing TRULY affordable housing with TRUE, 'Fail-Safe'
environmental protections. We have plenty of vacant retail space and
$200-350,000 homes for sale here in South Durham, and no housing or services for financially challenged citizens.

So please write the planning commissioners and request that they vote NO on the 751 Assemblage rezoning on April 13 for reasons including:

1) It is in the best interest of the Jordan Lake Watershed and Durham's accountability for cleaning and maintaining it, since alleged, man-made 'best management practices' (touted by the development community to remove sediment and pollution from runoff) have proven insufficient time and time again, at a high long-term cost to Durham citizens.

2) With so much empty retail space throughout South Durham (and throughout Durham, in general), not to mention the steadily increasing residential 'for sale' signs (particularly for homes priced comparably to those proposed for the 751 Assemblage), it makes no sense to build ANOTHER residential retail center just a few miles away from Southpoint Mall, the 'Renaissance Center,' Sutton Station (residential-retail center on Fayettevile), etc., all of which currently have empty retail and/or residential properties.

3) Research revealed at previous public hearings has shown that the 'affordable housing' touted by the developers is hardly affordable for anyone but safely employed, white-collar citizens.

4) and more...

Here's the group email address:
DurhamPlanningCommission at durhamnc.gov

I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Thanks again for caring enough to share your concerns with our local gov't officials!

Melissa (Rooney)