[Durham INC] Explanation~ CodeRed --Durham 911 Department Alert system

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 12:44:25 EDT 2010

We all can see the importance of being able to reach 911 when we have an
emergency.

Can you imagine what might happen if 911 could contact us through our
neighborhood listservs, real time?  Durham appears to be the first city in  the
country poised to enjoy a TWO WAY Emergency Communications System. In fact,
it already exists, it's called CodeRed.

Best way to explain it's importance is to mention the reverse 911  call we
just got (below), it was a Silver Alert for a missing senior  citizen. It
was instantly followed by an email version of that same reverse  911 call.

Now go a lot further, and you'll begin to understand why I'm making this
request on behalf of our 911 dept.

The director of Emergency Communications, Jim Soukup, has been busy trying
to join all the neighborhood listservs. Some neighborhoods have rejected
the  idea, because they don't know why _James.Soukup at durhamnc.gov_
(mailto:James.Soukup at durhamnc.gov)  would  want to join.

This is offered as an explanation, and real life examples abound. For
instance, the Police chase that ended in Watts Hospital and sent officers
running through yards. No need for a dozen citizens to call the substation to
find out why so many Police cars are on their block, citizens in just that
neighborhood would get an email that might say: "Don't be concerned if you see
 Police in your area, but if you see a man wearing a yellow jacket, kindly
call  911 and let them know which yard he's hiding in"

Since our Police would be able to communicate with the neighborhood while
they are there, there might even be a follow up message, "Thanks WHH, we
found  him thanks to your alertness, and we have him in custody"

Animal Control might use it to alert a few neighborhoods of a rabid dog,
weather service might want to warn you of an approaching tornado, the list
goes  on.  You won't see many CodeRed alerts, but they'll be important when
you  do, but your neighborhood won't be on the program if 911 isn't allowed to
 join your listserv.

So this request is two fold. First, send the name of your listserv (any
that you are on) to
_James.Soukup at durhamnc.gov_ (mailto:James.Soukup at durhamnc.gov)  so  911 can
make sure it's in the system. Second, when 911 tries to join, please
approve their membership!

Thanks to all the listservs in Durham, we'll all enjoy a unique ability to
communicate.

Bill  Anderson
PAC2

In a message dated 3/22/2010 4:55:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,