[Durham INC] FW: [cwneighbors] Bicycle Helmet Requirement

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 23:08:37 EDT 2010

A useful reminder from our list-serve.  Regards, pat

To: RickFahrer at aol.com
From: RickFahrer at aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:27:35 -0400
Subject: [cwneighbors] Bicycle Helmet Requirement

Now that the last snow is only a memory and warm weather is
upon us, your children are back on our streets riding their bicycles.
Unfortunately, I am seeing some who are riding without a helmet.  North
Carolina law dictates that anyone under the age of 16 MUST have a bike helmet on
when riding on public streets or paths.  It is the responsibility of the
parents or guardians to insure compliance.  Citations, when issued, will go
to them and not to the children.

This law is intended to help prevent serious head
injuries.  I asked our neighbor Wes Wallace, who is a doctor in the UNC
Emergency Room, to comment on this.  Here is what he would like you to
know.
"We're very good at fixing lots of injuries, but we're not
very good at fixing brain injuries.  Almost no accident affects one's
future more profoundly than a serious head injury.  Alarmingly, these
injuries sometimes occur during what appear to be trivial accidents.  The
critical factor affecting outcome is not repair, but prevention.  For bike
riders, this means wearing a helmet."

The text of the law is as follows:
NCGS 20‑171.9-Requirements for
helmet use
With regard to any bicycle used on a public roadway, public bicycle path,
or other public right‑of‑way:
“It shall be unlawful for any parent or
legal guardian of a person below the age of 16 to knowingly permit that person
to operate or be a passenger on a bicycle unless at all times when the person is
so engaged he or she wears a protective bicycle helmet of good fit fastened
securely upon the head with the straps of the helmet.”

So please instruct your children
as to the need to wear their helmet when riding.  Feel free to pass this
email on to anyone you think might benefit.  Please contact me if I can
answer any questions you might have.  Thanks.

Rick Fahrer
Chapel Hill Police
Dept.

        Visit Your Group