[Durham INC] THIS TUES: 751 Ass. Mtg (same land as Jordan Watershed rezoning fiasco) + Billboards

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 22:42:28 EDT 2010

Please don't forget about the PC meeting this Tuesday, April 13, at 5:30 PM (City Hall) -- they're counting on you to be there (see news article below). If you can't make the meeting, at the very least, please send a brief email to your planning commissioners wrt your concerns and opinions about the 1) Billboards Ordinance and 2) 751 South (the property for which was rezoned out of the Jordan Lake protected area, a hotly opposed decision that developers ultimately forced via a lawsuit against the county). A link to the latest Durham News Article regarding these issues is below my signature. [According to the development community involved, Durham's planning staff doesn't understand our ordinances or Comprehensive Plan; instead we are told to heed the apparently more expert interpretation of the developers ... of course, we all know where that's gotten us thus far.]

Here is the email address for all planning commissioners:
durhamplanningcommission at durhamnc.gov

Write them today.
I also hope to see you at the PC meeting on April 13.

Thanks for your continued and sincere involvement and concern,
Melissa (Rooney)

__________________________

 Billboards, 751 South on agenda
The Durham Planning Commission holds its monthly meeting Tuesday, starting at 5:30 p.m.BY JIM WISE, Staff writer

For the complete story ... http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2010/04/11/201468/billboards-751-south-on-agenda.html?story_link=email_msg

The Durham Planning Commission holds its monthly meeting Tuesday, starting at 5:30 p.m.
"Bring supper," Commissioner Jackie Brown. It's probably going to last a while.
That's because the five-item agenda includes two subjects that have stirred Durham County emotions for months: billboards and the 751 Assemblage.

"I'm expecting a big turnout," said Chairman Don Moffitt.

The particulars:

Fairway Outdoor Advertising has asked Durham to revise its rules to let the company move some of its billboards, upgrade others and switch some to digital operation. The rules currently prohibit new billboards in the city and allow only basic maintenance to those erected before the law was enacted in 1984.

Southern Durham Development Inc. wants 167 acres on N.C. 751 near the Chatham County line rezoned to allow the company's planned 751 South: a mixed-use subdivision including up to 1,300 residences. The project produced months of discussion and public hearings as well as three lawsuits in 2008-09, revolving around its location close to Jordan Lake.
Each case got a new twist last week: the City/County Planning Department recommended denial in both.

In Fairway's case, the recommendation came with an 8,000-word memo by planner Julia Mullen. The staff opinion, she wrote, was based on "many reasons" including billboards' detrimental effect on the city's appearance; the lack of public benefit in revising; problematic legal issues; public opinion against a change; and the current rules' "20 years of carefully considered governing body decisions."

In Southern Durham's case, the staff report recommends denial primarily because the development site includes part of a state-designated Natural Heritage Area, which it considers a conflict with protection policies in the city-county Comprehensive Plan. In particular, it mentions an area the developers propose donating to Durham Public Schools for a new school and playground.
Those recommendations have produced reactions from interested parties.

On billboards:

- "Disappointed," said Paul Hickman, general manager of Fairway. "Staff has continually failed to recognize that this text amendment is good for supporting local jobs, businesses and nonprofits while simultaneously increasing Durham's tax revenue, enhancing Durham's image as a high-tech community and providing a useful tool to law enforcement which will benefit public safety, all at no cost to taxpayers."

- "A very strong memo, well written, well researched," said John Schelp, one of the most visible and vocal opponents of changing the billboard rules. "Not only are the arguments strong, but the overwhelming support in the community is to keep the billboard ordinance as it is."
On 751 South:

- "We're disappointed," said Alex Mitchell, co-owner of Southern Durham Development. Mitchell said he disagrees with planning staff's interpretation of the Comprehensive Plan, and that, "They're using our donation of a school site against us." A state evaluation of the site is still in progress, he said, "So we hope eventually to have them recommend approval."
Mitchell said it was also "very concerning" to him that he and partner Tyler Morris received the staff report only Wednesday morning, though a copy had been circulating via e-mail for several days. The Planning Commission's agenda, including the report, was not posted on the commission Web site until Thursday.

- "I think they stepped up to the plate, they made the right choice here," said Steve Bocckino, a resident of southern Durham and long-time opponent of increasing development in that area. "Our inventory sites are very important. ... You'd be amazed at what grows over there."
The planning department's recommendations are not binding on the planning commissioners, and the planning commissioners' recommendations are not binding on the City Council and County Board of Commissioners, which have the final words, respectively, on Fairway and Southern Durham's requests.

Nevertheless, Tuesday's meeting provides a forum for supporters and opponents to make their cases on both issues - as well as the three other items: a church's rezoning request, a development-ordinance amendment on stream buffers and a resolution calling for rural residents' representation on the Board of Commissioners.

"It should be one of the most lively meetings we've had lately," Moffitt said.

jim.wise at nando.com or 932-2004

Copyright The News & Observer Publishing Co., Raleigh, NC
www.thedurhamnews.com
This article should not be printed or distributed for anything except personal use.

Feedback is welcome at http://www.thedurhamnews.com/contact/?story_link=email_msg.