[Durham INC] Fwd: NEEM: We're on the right path -- but still need help

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 20:54:49 EDT 2010

Please see below. We heard a bit about NEEM at the last INC meeting -- the city's cooperation with NEEM to bring gardens to school kids, our older citizens, and others who need education and help establishing a home garden.

Please consider donating even $5 today.
Thanks!
Melissa (Rooney)

________________

OK Durham, - we are on the right path, we are
raising money for school gardens for our schools and children that was the
recommendation to the President made today (see below).  BUT we cannot do it without continued donations made
in the current effort to make it happen.
We appreciate the donations to date but
there is a long way to go. LETS MOVE for Healthy Foods in Schools
YE Smith beds are in and planting day for their
garden to be announced soon!

Recommendation 3.11: Where possible, use school
gardens to educate students about healthy eating. School gardens offer opportunities for fun and physical activity while
also serving as an important educational tool to help students understand how
healthful food is produced.Some research suggests that school gardens used as part of a nutrition
education strategy can increase knowledge of fruits and vegetables and influence
behavior change among children.197 Schools can further make the link between agriculture and nutritious food
by inviting local farmers markets to operate from area school
yards.Parents and students can also
share their knowledge when shopping together for locally grown fruits and
vegetables or participating in Community Supported Agriculture
programs.
SO here it is
again!

In Durham WE HAVE a
BIAS for ACTION when it comes to equal opportunity for our children, Teachers
and their Schools:

We are a group asking for a $20 donation from 2,000
Durham citizens so every elementary school in Durham is able to have a garden
classroom. We believe that all children deserve an equal opportunity to have a
quality education and good health which will be enhanced by hands-on work and
school programming related to their garden. We also believe that what one public
school has, so should all the others.

Lets do it now, not talk about it for a
year.

NEEM, a non-profit sustainable urban agriculture
organization and a project of the Preservation Committee of the Neighborhood
PRIDE Alliance, in partnership with Neighborhood Improvement Services, Duke
University and our other partners have six school gardens scheduled and fully or
partially funded. Funding is in place for Kitchen
Garden Classroom Curriculum development along with membership at Bull
City Forward, – a working space dedicated to helping high
impact ideas get to scale. This is a call to action by us to you to fund the rest.

Here are some ways you can help make this goal a
reality:

Donate $20.00: –Go to www.neemtree.organd click on the “Donate” button. All major credit cards accepted. (You may
donate any amount.) We are also looking for in-kind donations or use of a truck
and tools.

Corporate Adopt and Mentor a garden: -$1650.00(four raised beds with
compost and seasonal plants). For a breakdown in cost per school contact us at neem at mindspring.com-
we encourage those that adopt a garden to also mentor it, contact us at urbanqardens at neemtree.organd put HEALTHY KIDS in the subject line.

Corporate volunteers and in-kind
donations:  Construction, retail home supply, developers, irrigation, compost and
grounds maintenance supply, nurseries or any group that feels it has some
inventory and/or time to contribute, contact urbangardens at neemtree.organd put HEALTHY KIDS CORPORATE in the subject line.

Civic groups, non-profits, groups working
in Durham on sustainable concepts and CDC’s: We want your help to
make this happen. It doesn’t matter who does it as long as it gets done. Contact
us at urbangardens at neemtree.organd put
HEALTHY KIDS NP in the subject line.

Thanks for your support - The
Group:
The Neighborhood PRIDE Alliance Preservation Committee, Constance
Stancil, The City of Durham Department of Neighborhood Improvement Services,
NEEM, John Schelp, Milo Pyne, Jeffrey A. Ensminger, Melissa Rooney, Brian Rosa,
Habitat for Humanity of Durham, Novozymes Natures Green Leaf, Mike Shiflett,
Kirsten Nygard, Wanona Satcher, Gemma Cooper, ELI - Christopher Gergen – Bull
City Forward and Duke University.
Jeff Ensminger
neem at mindspring.com