[Durham INC] [pac3] Aggressive Panhandling

M. W. Shiflett - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 11:44:56 EDT 2010

Two years ago the InterNeighborhood Council produced several thousand
brochures entitled
"Durham,   Can You Spare a Change"  which not only tried to address pan
handling in instances like this but also touched on the homeless and needy
who approach us with 'situations' that end up as requests for money, rather
than solving the underlying problem they have.

The point of the brochure is to make folks aware that there are literally
dozens of functioning non-profits, government programs, churches and citizen
volunteer efforts (food banks) that are located in Durham to serve just
about any need an individual truly in desperate times can rely on to get
assistance.

As a concerned citizen,  I also have given money to folks like the ones
described in the previous post.    But in recent years,  I've come to
understand that directing my spare change to these formal groups is a better
solution to the huge set of problems 'people in need' have that I am not
able to address personally.

I have found it very satisfying to be able to show that DURHAM CAN SPARE A
CHANGE when these situations present themselves by handing one of these
brochures to individuals soliciting money from me rather than just hand over
some cash.

I carry several with me in my car for just such situations.

And if all else fails,  I turn to those highly trained police officers who
know how to determine what is and what isn't a true emergency which also
enables them to use resources that I don't have immediate access to, by
calling 911.

Mike Shiflett