[Durham INC] NC ranked #1 in yet another list...

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sat Jul 31 01:44:42 EDT 2010

in copperhead bites!

Full story:

http://www.newsobserver.com/.../were-no-1-the-bad-news-for-copperhead.html

Eight years ago, I read in one of the neighborhood newsletters, an article
by a neighbor in that hood "to not worry, there were no poisonous snakes
in the hood". This came as I surprise to me since I had seen copperheads
(or highland moccasins which is the name the Nature Channel personnel used
who responded to our query about the snakes we were seeing). I had already
seen dead copperheads in the road over here several times, so I knew
Durham had them. I asked my neighbors to start reporting sightings (dead
or alive) to me and I started The Copperhead Count. For 5 years (ending in
the 2008 snake season; because they hibernate) we averaged 26 a year. Some
years were more than others. No reports that anyone was ever bitten
(although my dog was).

If you're unsure what one looks like, I have a picture online of Jake; a
23" teenager that lived over here at my place. It's bad to try to keep
snakes such as these as pets because they hibernate. So the best thing you
can do is let them go before that time arrives (Sept/early Oct)

http://www.fhnanews.com/critters.html

I typically see one or 2 a year at my house. I haven't been keeping
account of them for 2 years, so I have no idea if they are getting more or
less in number. But the fact that as a State we're ranked #1, I guess
their numbers are growing. So know what they look like and beware; they
are poisonous. It's a good thing to know what sort of snake bits you (your
family or pet) since the hospital/vet will treat you/pet for all sorts of
snakes which can be expensive and painful ($750 for my dog).

Not all snakes are bad, so just don't kill them because you don't know. On
the same page above where you'll find Jake, there is also a photo of a
small garter snake I caught sticking its head out from a crack in the
brick wall here. These are very good snakes to have around (and they are
not poisonous).

RWP
27 Beverly