[Durham INC] Durham Launches 2010 Street Bond Referendum Website

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Thu Sep 16 13:33:08 EDT 2010

CITY OF DURHAM

Office of Public Affairs

101 City Hall Plaza

Durham, NC 27701

News Release

For Details, Contact:

Beverly B. Thompson

Public Affairs Director

(919) 560-4123 x 11229

(919) 475-2362 (cell)

Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov

For Immediate Release:  September 16, 2010

Durham Launches 2010 Street Bond Referendum Website

 "Operation Green Light" Provides Voter Information for November 2nd
Ballot

DURHAM, N.C. - Durham residents looking for information on the 2010
Street Bond Referendum now need look no further than the newly
redesigned "Operation Green Light" website.

The website was redesigned and updated to provide the latest information
on why the City of Durham is placing a $20 million street bond
referendum on the November 2, 2010 ballot, seeking approval from voters
to borrow money to repave 150 miles of road in Durham.

Effective immediately, www.DurhamOperationGreenlight.org, is now live to
inform Durham voters about the issue, how the funds will be spent, and
progress already made toward improving the ride on Durham's city
streets.

According to Mayor William V. "Bill" Bell, this website is a useful tool
for voters looking to learn more about the 2010 Street Bond Referendum
before going to cast their vote on November 2nd. "This website contains
a lot of useful information for residents that explains why the City is
placing this on the ballot, what the City will do with the funds if the
bond is passed by voters, and the lessons learned as we move forward, so
we don't end up with such a backlog of deferred maintenance on our
streets again," Bell said. "We want our voters to be as educated as
possible on this issue so when they go to the polls on November 2nd,
they can cast an informed vote."

Residents can also watch a video with City Manager Thomas Bonfield
explaining the need for the bond and download maps that show the
proposed streets to be repaved if the bond passes as well as a map of
all city streets that have been repaved since 2005. There is also
information on the impact the bond will have on taxpayers as well as
frequently asked questions and more.

###