[Durham INC] Durham First Recipient of Burgess Sustainability Award

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Tue Nov 2 09:27:26 EDT 2010

Durham First Recipient of Susan M. Burgess Sustainability Award

Raleigh, NC - October 29, 2010 .... The N.C. League of Municipalities
(NCLM) is proud to announce that the City of Durham has been named as
one of two inaugural winners of the Susan M. Burgess Sustainability
Award.

The award was presented on Monday, October 25, 2010, at the NCLM Annual
Conference in Winston-Salem. The Burgess Sustainability award is
presented annually to recognize efforts to lessen the environmental
impact of municipal operations and to promote and encourage
sustainability throughout the community. Durham won for municipalities
with a population of 10,000 and above. The City of Archdale won in the
category of those municipalities under 10,000.

Durham was honored for its numerous sustainability efforts, including
its greenhouse gas emissions reduction plan; its public-private
partnership to produce electricity from landfill methane gas; its
recycling, water conservation and education programs; and city-funded
affordable housing built to energy efficiency standards.

"Durham is truly a leader in sustainability efforts among our cities,"
said Boone Mayor Loretta Clawson, NCLM 2009-10 Second Vice President, in
presenting the award.

"I was very honored to accept this award on behalf of Durham," Mayor
William V. "Bill" Bell said. "Over the past few years, the City has made
a deliberate effort to promote sustainability in everything we do, not
just for current Durham residents, but also for our future. We are proud
that our efforts are being recognized by this prestigious and
forward-thinking award."

The Susan M. Burgess Sustainability Awards are named in honor of the
late Burgess, a Charlotte council member and former NCLM president who
created the NCLM Green Challenge several years ago as a way to honor
those municipalities that have taken the initiative to conserve energy
and natural resources at the local government level. Burgess died in
2010 after a battle with cancer.

Burgess Sustainability Award winners must first achieve NCLM Green
Challenge Advanced Level status before they can apply for the Burgess
Award. More than 90 cities and towns participate in the NCLM Green
Challenge.

Founded in 1908, the League is a voluntary, nonpartisan association of
more than 540 cities, towns and villages in North Carolina. The League
advocates for municipalities at the state and federal levels and
provides a variety of direct services.

If you are interested in more information about the NCLM Green Challenge
or the Susan M. Burgess Sustainability Awards, please contact Matt Lail
at (919) 715-3929 or mlail at nclm.org or go to www.nclm.org and click on
Programs & Services.