[Durham INC] P.S. Stream Buffers

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Thu Nov 4 21:19:39 EDT 2010

It doesn't matter if it's Farmer Dan's field, inner-city or your own back
yard. Stream buffers are on their way. It's what the State is asking us
(before it becomes an unfunded mandate) to do to better the quality of
water we have in our drinking water supplies. I expect it to be the
largest bond issue (to pay for it) by our fair community in history. I
recall a conversation (had years ago when the issue first came
forward)when it was thought to be somewhere less than a $250M price tag.
Now in conversations, it is heading toward a billion dollars. Buffers are
the last opportunity for water run-off to get cleaned before entering what
becomes our drinking-water-supply-cycle. In-fill in these areas does
nothing to help water quality. Because we're in the Piedmont, alot of the
streams are in designated flood plains (as are alot of our parks).

RW Pickle