[Durham INC] Fw: [owdna] Re: Destiny's 2 shootings in its short life to date?

M. W. Shiflett - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:57:58 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Beverly Tucker
To: Beverly Tucker ; Kelly Jarrett ; Ian Kleinfeld ; owdna at yahoogroups.com ; whhna-list-bounces at rtpnet.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:12 PM
Subject: [owdna] Re: Destiny's 2 shootings in its short life to date?

Dear neighbors -

In the past few weeks, I attended my first PAC2 meeting that included a presentation by ABC staff followed by Q&A about the rules, procedures and trends for pulling a license from an establishment.  I then attended my first Durham Businesses Against Crime (BDAC) meeting at which folks (including the police) spoke of their frustration with ABC's rules being so lame.

Below is an editorial sent to the Herald Sun today about this issue - which is a step in the right direction - but would surely benefit from neighbors speaking up loudly and often about their concern and intent to prevent a third incident stemming from the vicinity of Destiny's.

Beverly

2210 Englewood Avenue
(and yes, the city did replace the street sign and the park sign that was torn from the yard as a result of the most recent incident)

Recent events and public discussions have uncovered an apparent discrepancy in the application of jurisprudence regarding the permitting and repermiting of ABC licenses that allow some business locations here in Durham with extensive criminal activity to continue operating without regard to the health and safety of the neighborhood surrounding these locations.

At last months PAC 2 meeting, many residents expressed a vocal displeasure with the NC ABC Commission and it’s rulings regarding several instances of violent acts, fencing and/or drug sales in locations that have ABC permits.   Feelings expressed can be summarized by the fact that simply slapping permitees with simple fines or requiring attendance at a training program does not match the number or severity of those violations in several examples that were cited at the meeting

This was further aggravated when it was subsequently discovered that only two ABC permits have been revoked in NC over the past year despite the repeated arrest and convictions of both owners (or spouses) and/or employees of those businesses for multiple serious crimes.

At the Durham Businesses Against Crime (DBAC) meeting on Thursday November 4th, after presentations by the DPD Commander of District Two, Captain Larry Smith and Wanda Boone of Durham TRY along with reviewing the NC State General Statutes DBAC voted unanimously to voice our concern to the ABC Board about these issues and ask it to start protecting the citizens of NC by abiding to the provisions of NC GS 18b-904 (e) (3) which provides for revocation of a permit if “it finds evidence that the permittee or the permitees employee has been found responsible by a court of competent jurisdiction or the Commission for two or more violations of separate dates of knowingly allowing a violation of the gambling, disorderly conduct, prostitution, controlled substances, or felony criminal counterfeit trademark laws……”.

We encourage the five PAC’s and the InterNeighborhood Council to thoughtfully consider this position and join Durham TRY, the DPD and other community organizations in seeing a long needed change in how liquor licenses are issued, regulated and enforced.

North Carolina State statutes legislate these actions and it is beyond many residents objective understanding why the ABC Board of NC doesn’t.

Mike Shiflett

President, Durham Businesses Against Crime