[Durham INC] DRAFT DRAFT Nov minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:36:28 EST 2010

November Delegate
Meeting

First Presbyterian Church

November 30, 2010

Attending the meeting
were:

Delegates and Alternates

Cross Counties – Pat Carstensen

Duke Park – Bill Anderson

Golden Belt Neighborhood Association – DeDreana Freeman,
John Martin

Old Farm – David Harris

Old North Durham – Peter Katz

Old West Durham – Brett Walters

Watts Hospital Hillandale – Tom Miller, Mike Woodard

Woodcroft – Scott Carter

Visitors

Chloe’ Palenchar – Old East Durham

Scott Pearson – Olive Branch Road

Darius Little – Organizing Chadsford subdivision

Jim Wise – News and Observer

Lynwood D. Best – City of Durham, NIS

Folks present introduced themselves.  There was no quorum so we couldn’t
approve the minutes.

Durham had a deadline to update the stream buffers part of the UDO to incorporate state mandates, and
decided to ignore the recommendations on widening stream buffers, from the
hard-working committee of citizens they appointed.  We’ll wait to see what develops on this issue.

The Traffic Committee
has a long list of traffic and transportation issues in Durham, would like to
have a program at a future INC delegate meeting, and thinks we should have neighborhood
folks with the expertise to help neighborhoods facing transportation
issues.  Delegates suggested adding
getting rid of the downtown loop and the Markham and Magnum intersection to the
list of concerns, and developing a process for taking a position on these
issues (making sure we know all the neighborhoods affected, for example).  There was further discussion of traffic
calming (INC should be encouraging PACE car program since a neighborhood has to
have >50% participation for it to be effective) and of the Alston / NC 55
widening.

The Communications
Committee reported their recommendations to set up two areas on the INC
website:

·
Contacts for newsletter editors, which would
help editors contact one another, as well as helping potential advertisers
contact the right person

·
Share-able articles (either from other
neighborhoods or from agencies or non-profits, so there could be something on
Christmas celebrations or on fire-prevention)

The Committee will go ahead to implement these
recommendations and announce the websites on the list-serve.  Neighborhoods are asked to get ask newsletter
editors to put their contact information out there, as well as to contribute
some “pump priming” articles for the article archive.  Eventually, it would be great to have a sit-down meeting
among editors.

Tom is working on a January program on Liquor Permits, Crime and Neighborhoods.  He is talking to the state ABC and state ALE (Alcohol Law
Enforcement).  PAC2 will also have
folks from ABC at their December 13 meeting (6 PM at the DPS Training Center).

Pat will send to the list-serve her short list of what is in
the Technical Revisions VI to the UDO.

We have 3 resolutions (Neighborhood Protection, Electronic
Billboard Moratorium, and Community Association Manager Licensing) on state
legislation we would like implemented, plus the new General Assembly will
probably come up with some things we want to fight.  We formed a Legislative
Committee, with Tom Miller, Mike Shiflett, DeDreana Freeman, Pat
Carstensen, and Scott Pearson.

On Neighborhood and Other Reports:

·
Trinity
Park is apparently seeing a revised proposal on McPherson Hospital due to
the bad publicity from the original plan.
There is a plan for the perc contamination from the dry cleaning plant,
and implementation will start soon.

·
Old West Durham reported the next look at Ninth
Street Plan is December 7.

·
Golden Belt reported that the new plan on Alston
Avenue widening moves the road enough to avoid demolishing the supermarket, but
the real question is why we need 82 feet of street when maybe better timing of
the lights solve the perceived “slow traffic” problem.  The neighborhood has also met with the
Durham Rescue Mission on their “campus” plans, which would close 2 streets and
knock down a bunch of houses.

·
Duke Park will have, for the first time, a
Preservation Durham Home Tour in May.

·
Watts Hospital / Hillandale’s Board of Directors
has charged their zoning committee with developing and getting implemented a
better model for the Neighborhood Commercial district – which is supposed to be
neighborhood-scale businesses like a local watering hole, but often isn’t
really neighborhood scale (as in the Morreene Road fiasco).

·
NIS will be having a Landlord Training Workshop
on December 9.  If a neighborhood
has a lot of rental housing, it may be worth going.  The registration is technically closed, but you can probably
get in.  Contact Lynwood Best, at
(919) 560-1647, extension 34254 or via e-mail at Lynwood.Best at DurhamNC.gov

·
Tom met with Chapel Hill’s Neighbors for
Responsible Growth, about forming an INC in Chapel Hill.  This would be a valuable ally.

There will be no December meeting, but Tom will send out
info on a party.