[Durham INC] Link Between Walkability and Social Capital

Shelly Green Shelly at Durham-cvb.com
Fri Dec 17 12:02:11 EST 2010

Although Durham as a whole scored a 40 on the Walkscore (slightly above the State average of 38), several neighborhoods scored higher. Here is a snapshot of when we wrote about this index about 18 months ago.   www.dcvb-nc.com/comm/enews/Vol8Issue35/Walkability.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: inc-list-bounces at rtpnet.org [mailto:inc-list-bounces at rtpnet.org] On Behalf Of bragin at nc.rr.com
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 11:23 AM
To: Reyn Bowman
Cc: INC-list at rtpnet.org
Subject: Re: [Durham INC] Link Between Walkability and Social Capital

It may be that the Atlantic report is flawed in some way, Reyn, or that they're filtering cities by population without stating so.

Jacksonville makes both lists in the Atlantic report, yet Walkscore.com gives them a 36 rating, below Durham's. Their population is 730K, so it may be that Durham is simply not big enough tohave been included on that list.

Anything below 50 on Walkscore.com gets the "car dependent" notation; above 50 is "slightly walkable"; above 70 is "very walkable."

Do you have a link to the Prevention article?

Barry Ragin

---- Reyn Bowman <reynbowman at gmail.com> wrote:

I believe they used the same methodology Barry - we have more than we think
once you include those around Northgate and The Streets at Southpoint, South
Square, up beteen Hope Valley/MLK, down around Fayetteville/MLK, Woodcroft
etc. We tend to think mostly of those surrounding Dowtown and Ninth
Street but the methology may go further.

I wasn 't meaning to indicate we'd reached any exaltation for walkability,
but we do sore very well on most areas of social capital...

The study and I cited though when complete will provide some good incentive
to help us think much differently about physical enviornment...