[Durham INC] FW: Alston Widening

Matt Dudek matt.dudek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 12:09:15 EST 2010

In fairness to NCDOT, this widening plan is very old and so has had approval
of it for a long time, and is why it doesn't line up with the more livable
streets approach. And as a credit to NCDOT, they haven't pushed forward with
this project and seem to be aware to some extent of how the neighborhoods
feel. And finally, while it seems inefficient to not be able to change the
project, there are good reasons why the permitting process works the way it
does. The frustrating thing is that the permit process for a more
sustainable redesign of Alston Ave. hasn't been officially started yet.

My biggest fear for the project is that the this project will get pushed
through because it is seen as a tool for economic development. Such a busy
road will only allow cars to go faster through the neighborhood on their way
to 147 and to 40. It will not generate more business opportunities. It will
generate traffic and make it more difficult for cars to make left turns
across 3 lanes of traffic into the businesses currently there.

• This road will be a through road for commuters, it won't be used by local
traffic going to support local businesses.
• It will devalue home prices near this busy road
• It will cut off the neighborhoods east of the road, just like Rolling
Hills is cut off by 147.
• It will increase speeds on the road
• It will make the road more dangerous for pedestrians and bicycles (and
bicycles are used here for transportation, not recreation)

Thanks for listening to my little soap box.

Matt
*502 Mallard Ave.*
Cleveland-Holloway