[Durham INC] Performances major venues; alternative Valentines ideas; events

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 16:01:16 EST 2011

By way of clarification.....If you're inclined to support public financing
of political campaigns (and I could go on and on about the potential merits,
intended consequences and possible pitfalls of this good government reform),
you have the option of earmarking a $3 of the taxes you're already paying on
your FEDERAL tax return for presidential races.  Additionally, and this has
been a years-long educational effort of Democracy NC and our allies, you can
earmark $3 of your STATE taxes to support North Carolina's judicial public
financing program.  Since 2004 candidates for NC Supreme Court and NC Court
of Appeals have had the OPTION of agreeing to fundraising and spending
restrictions AND raising a large number of small "qualifying" contributions
to receive a grant for their campaign expenses.  The program has been used
by the vast majority of the candidates since that time.  Men, women, blacks,
whites and Dems and Republicans (they run non-partisan, but I'm just saying)
have all prevailed using the program.  So look for two different check-off
options....or not? Democracy North Carolina

----------

Alternative Valentine¹s Day gifts*
Entertainment = Blue, donating = pink, organizations = red, shopping = blue
green, traveling = grey, tips = black

There are a number of alternative gift-giving ideas. I believe that it is
good to take advantage of what is available in our own backyard. With that
in mind one may give a ticket for a live performance see the performance
attachment here for an incomplete list of concerts at Carolina in Durham,
Duke, UNC and NCSU along with U-Tube links and a second one for performance
series and Listserves & Calendars Triangle (sent September 24, 2010.)

You could make a contribution to a non-profit organization in the name of a
loved ones and friends (see Groups to support sent on November 22, 2010).
There are also additional organizations that are listed below.

Another option is to visit a place together (see Daytrips to Charlotte,
Triad & other ideas  August 27, 2010 and North Carolina & Virginia Places To
Go (sent August 14, 2010), Triangle Places, Favorites  (sent on November 25,
2008 or January 17, 2010 and Triangle Places (sent on August 20, 2010).

Or pay for someone to take a class (see Classes, Workshops, Camps for
Children (sent on August 20, 2010 and September 1, 2010) and Classes for
Adults (sent on 9/10/2010). Another possibility is to pay for exercise
passes at the public recreation facilities or a month membership at a club.

For suggestions for restaurants ask me to receive restaurants and café
lists. (I do not know if the list serve permits commercial information.)

I want to encourage Triangle residents to support locally owned, independent
businesses.
Donating and Shopping for Used Items/ re-gifting presents  (sent on
September 24, 2010)
Durham Farmer¹s Market is open Saturdays through April 2 from 10 ­ 12.
Plant Resources (see Nurseries, Gardens and Garden Resources) (sent on
September 16, 2010)
Shopping Fair Trade, North Carolina Chains, Locally Owned and/or Independent
Businesses  (sent on December 3, 2010)

---------

Wintertime place to go

Museum of Life and Science  220-5429 Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New
Years Day.
433 Murray Ave (between Duke St and Roxboro Rd) (Durham)
Hands-on science exhibits including Magic Wings Butterfly House, Carolina
wildlife, farmyard, aerospace, weather, geology. Has train rides, changing
exhibits and drumming out of doors, and changing exhibits. You can see the
butterflies up close especially when they are released at 11 and 3. Inside
the house you can pretend as if you are in a tropical climate given the
warmth and the interesting plants inside grow in such locations.
Wednesday afternoons from 1 to 5 p.m. are free for admission for Durham city
residents, with proof of identification, or you may pay what you wish. Train
rides are the only thing with an additional fee for Durham residents on
Wednesday afternoons.
<http://www.ncmls.org>

----------

More plants with winter interest

Coral Bark Maple (Acer palmatum): red bark which is especially noticeable
without leaves!
http://www.nurserytrees.com/Coral%20Bark%20Maple.htm
<http://www.nurserytrees.com/Coral%20Bark%20Maple.htm>

----

Camellia (Camellia japonica): evergreen bush, comes in a variety of blossom
colors; some bloom in winter, some in the spring and others in the fall)

---------

Hardy Cyclamen (Cyclamen hederifolium): 2-4-inches tall with beautiful
variegated leaves; when flowering the leaves are not showing and when leaves
are showing there are no flowers. http://www.humeseeds.com/efcycl.htm

---

Hellebore/Lenten Rose (Helleborus): 12-18-inch evergreen and has flowers
with a variety of colors; bloom from January through May, although the later
months the flowers turn light green) http://www.helleborus.com/
Gethsemane Garden, in Guilford County, has large number of unusual species.
http://www.gethgardens.com/
Pine Knot Farms, in Clarksville VA, also specializes in Lenten Roses.

------------

Events

Visual arts = blue, movies & plays = brown, music = red & new information,
and others (including political events) = black

Friday, February 11, 6:30 - 10pm

Breakfast at Tiffany¹s Sweet Arts¹ Art Auction and Fundraiser for Durham
Arts Guild programs
Live music & food from area restaurants. $45 in advance & $50 at the door
560-2713

Durham Art Guild in Durham Arts Council
120 Morris St., Durham, NC 27701

----------

Friday, February 11,  7:30pm - 10:30pm

Bleumatics will be playing a benefit for the The Arc

This crowd loves to dance - no long textured angst-ridden end-of-the-world
excursions at this one Lots of R&B and R&R.

Event details at: http://www.thearcofdurhamcounty.org/2011_valentine.php

Bleumatics tunes on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/bleumatics
Bleumatics World on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=102898712789

historic Armory Building in downtown Durham

The Arc of Durham County is a non-profit agency dedicated to serving people
with developmental disabilities and their families. The Arc strives to
create and improve opportunities by providing leadership in and advocacy for
quality human services, family support, information and referral, and public
awareness.

-------------

February 11, 12, 18 & 19 at 8 pm
February 13 & 20 at 2 pm

³Ruined²  by Lynn Nottage presented by NCCU Department of Theatre

³Ruined,² travels deep into the war-ravaged Congo and takes a poignant look
into the hearts and souls of a group of despoiled women who seek refuge and
restoration in a brothel. This is the story of the resilience of the human
spirit during times of war. www.nccu.edu/calendar.cfm

I have always thought the theater department has done a good job with its
performances.

NCCU
Farrison-Newton Communications Building ­ Theatre Lawson & Fayetteville St.

Laura
403-2248

* If you would like any of these documents that include the entire Triangle
please let me know. If you would like to be added to the general list please
say added to the general list in the subject line.  Also if you prefer to
only receive notices of arts events please let me know.