[Durham INC] NPR and PBS th get the chopping block?

Tom Clark tomc at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 08:41:28 EST 2011

Randy, you're logic here is very sound, and I think the values you proclaim
are shared by many, if not all of us.

But you are speaking to the wrong side of the problem.

The facts are well known, if not acted upon, by people with our shared
values:

   - The US spends more on defense than *all other countries* in the world *
   combined*
   - As declared by Congressional leaders last spring, the Pentagon
   maintains 3 (three!) separate systems--submarine, strategic bombers and
   land-based nuclear missles--for destroying the Soviet Union, a country that
   hasn't existed for 20 years, and with whose successors we have a treaty
   about limiting weapons
   - Spending money on weapons not only takes money away from the investment
   in the *true* necessities of life--education, health care, housing,
   art--but contributes to a powerful cultural wind of inclination to actually
   *use* these weapons that we have paid so dearly for, instead of more
   rational methods of dealing with our planetary co-inhabitants

Good, clear-headed people can and will disagree about the particulars of
what our national priorities should be.  But please let's not continue
cutting teachers from the schools, funding for our college students,
health-care for the sick, sustenance for our libraries and the already-low
amount of investment in the creative arts while pretending that every dime
spent by the Defense Department is necessary to our survival as a nation.

TC

--
Tom Clark
919-274-7463