[Durham INC] NC General Assembly takes on terminal groins (jetties)

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 27 19:46:15 EST 2011

Let's put this in neighborhood terms.  Terminal groins are $10,000,000 speed tables that cost $2,000,000 a year to maintain.  Only they are $10,000,000 speed tables built on sink-holes.  How are they like speed tables?  With speed tables, the traffic moves to the next street and so once you put one in, you keep needing to add them in neighboring street.  Similarly, jetties capture sand in one place by getting it to move off other places, so once you have one jetty, you need them all up and down the coast.  The sinkhole?  The oceans are rising so the houses on the sand (isn't there something in the Bible about this) aren't going to stand there very long anyhow.
How many teachers could be pay with the cost of one jetty?

And don't get me started on the insurance.  It totally sticks in my craw that I have a surcharge on MY home insurance because some idiot down on the coast with a house worth 6 times mine can't pay the full cost of his hurricane insurance.
Below is an editorial from the John Locke Foundation against the current bill.  The Coastal Federation has a lot of information on it:  http://www.nccoast.org/  If you missed the N&O story, http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/27/2095721/as-beaches-erode-debate-rises.html
Bob Atwater is on the Senate Ag Committee so please write him. Bob.Atwater at ncleg.net
Regards, pat