[Durham INC] instead of plywood on windows...

Ken Gasch Ken at KenGasch.com
Thu Mar 3 22:34:10 EST 2011

Boarded up windows scream: "Hello squatter, please consider prying a board
loose on my back side and coming on in. As you can see by my boarded up
windows, I am empty and nobody will bother you for weeks at a time."
 Artwork will do the same thing.

Boarding up homes is a bad policy.

Homes should be lived in.

I have had to keep squatters out of houses scores of times.

For starters, go in a few times and throw all their belongings out. That
usually keeps them from coming back.

Empower the neighbors to watch the house for you. I have one project where a
neighbor ran off some would-be looters/squatters with a 12-gage, double
barrel shotgun.

Get temporary power on and play music and keep a light on or two. Put lights
on timers.

Sign a trespass agreement with the police and post "no trespassing" signs.
My sign is not big and neon orange. My sign is very small. It does not
scream: "empty house."  It is in 12-point type and says: "No Trespassing.
Durham Police Department, Pursuant to NC General Statute 14-153.13 (1),
I hereby authorize any officer of the Durham Police Department to arrest and
remove any intruder found upon these premises.  I will testify in court as
to my power to delegate this authority.  Please do not hesitate to phone me
at any time of day or night.  Thank you, Ken Gasch 919.475.8866."

Do not board up houses!!!

Ken Gasch
REALTOR®/Broker
Seagroves Realty