[Durham INC] instead of plywood on windows...

Matt Dudek matt.dudek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:34:26 EST 2011

I agree that boards aren't ideal, and I think Art is great as a temporary
fix to bring focus on a neighborhood in need of help. In Detroit though, as
far as I understand, those art installations were never meant to be
permanent. The intention was to get news crews to show the need for
investment in those neighborhoods. Now it's become a part of "ruins porn."

I live in Cleveland-Holloway and even though there has been significant
reinvestment, and a number of vacant houses renovated, there are still 15
vacant/abandoned houses within a block and a half of my house. I don't want
permanent art installations that outsiders come to gawk at. I want *new
neighbors,* permanent, real-life new neighbors invested in the health of the
area.

I think the city's installation on Holloway St. is great, and I think the
temporary New Neighbors exhibit is a fantastic idea. I hope it brings people
to East Durham and shows what a vibrant, functioning community it is. I know
the intent of the program was to get people to buy houses in East Durham,
and I hope that's what it accomplishes.

(And I should mention that both Ken Gasch and Bill Anderson have been
instrumental in bringing new owner occupiers to Cleveland-Holloway. I hope
more real estate agents start showing more homes in our neighborhood and
other East Durham Neighborhoods to people looking to buy a home for
themselves, and not just investment properties.)

Just my two cents.

Matt Dudek
*Cleveland-Holloway*