[Durham INC] instead of plywood on windows...

Ken Gasch kenneth.gasch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:27:30 EST 2011

Fletch,

I love your name.

I have worked with scores of buyers looking to become owner-occupants in lots of disadvantaged areas in Durham. Boards on windows is, in my opinion, a bad idea. Celebrating this emptiness with art in the windows, where real people should be living, is a bad idea.

Please, for one minute, consider it through the eyes of a prospective buyer. Sure, there will be folks who will take the plunge, but you are limiting the size of your prospective buyer pool.

I am happy to give you a walking tour of the area I work in anytime. Bring a flashlight and I will take you into a home I am contracted to buy. It has boarded up windows. Squatters sleep there every night. Their bedding smells of urine. The tubs and toilet are filled with feces. There are the tell-tale signs of drug addition all over the home. The address is 701 Holloway.

I will wear my work clothes to the closing. After signing the papers, I will go straight to one job site, pick up some of my guys and go to the house and the boards will come down that day.

I can take you inside countless others. My cell is 475-8866.

Ken Gasch

-- Sent from my Palm Pre