[Durham INC] Happy Anniversary to the Pauli Murray Project - two years old today

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 16:25:09 EST 2011

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY -- THE PAULI MURRAY PROJECT IS 2 YEARS OLD TODAY

Let's take a moment to express our gratitude for all that we have accomplished in the last two years.

* We've spread the WORD. People are talking about, learning about, and getting excited about Pauli Murray and the Pauli Murray Project. This year we marked the centennial of Pauli Murray's birth.

* More than 10,000 people have visited our WEBSITE www.paulimurrayproject.org

* MEDIA EXPOSURE - Our work has been featured on television, in all of the local papers, on the radio and on the web.

* 250 people have attended our one of our 4 COMMUNITY DIALOGUES.

* Almost 1000 people have attended one of the 8 performances of TO BUY THE SUN, an original play created by Hidden Voices in collaboration with the Pauli Murray Project.

* We've hosted 6 PANELS/LECTURES featuring both local and national scholars and co-curated a TRAVELING EXHIBIT with our partners at the Center for the Study of the American South and Wilson Library.

* We estimate that more than 50 BOOK GROUPS have read Pauli Murray's Proud Shoes.

* We've hosted 4 CELEBRATIONS of Pauli Murray's life, received 2 PROCLAMATIONS from Durham City Council and been awarded a NC STATE HISTORIC MARKER HONORING PAULI MURRAY that will be installed later this year.

* We've conducted 16 interviews and created an AUDIO DOCUMENTARY, a Pauli Murray in her Neighborhood  WALKING TOUR, and a GOOGLE MAP, about activism and Pauli Murray in Durham.

* We've received funding to support our work from the Andrus Family Fund, the NC Humanities Council, the Duke Human Rights Center, the Paul Green Foundation, the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation, St. Titus' Episcopal Church, Imagine Durham, and many generous individual donors. Thank you everyone!!!

Stay tuned for more to come, a MEMORIAL DAY CEMETERY AND HOUSE TOUR, our HISTORIC MARKER INSTALLATION and lots of fundraising efforts around PAULI MURRAY'S CHILDHOOD HOME.

Best,

Barbara Lau
Director, Pauli Murray Project
www.paulimurrayproject.org