[Durham INC] roadside solicitation

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 11:46:01 EDT 2011

Randy,

Of course INC has taken on this issue, and the proof is attached.

That brochure is the result of over a year's worth of bouncing it between
all the organizations that are listed as it's supporters. Basically it's a
product of INC & the three main charities that address the problem of
homelessness. (Although it was pointed out that many of the panhandlers are NOT
homeless)

The conclusion, in a nutshell, was that dollars given to these individual
do more harm than good, and that Durham is a very generous community that
should make their contributions in cash {and time} to the organizations  that
provide services, rather than directly to panhandlers. Giving food is
encouraged, just not cash.

As to laws, the vests will do little to protect the individuals while you
run them over, but we have laws on our books that would cause 95% of these
folks  to get a citation.
It might seem cruel, but if they get citations instead of dollars, they
will seek the help they really need instead of being out there tomorrow, and
the  next day. It's no quality of life, nor a path to one. What I learned
during  that couple years it took to produce that brochure, was that our
contributions  were what kept those guys glued to those intersections.

The law states that they may not walk more than 15 feet or something, from
their "litter". "Litter" is defined as (and I'm doing this from memory)
things  like the bucket or milk carton they were sitting on, or their signs
which they  store in the bushes.

Bill  Anderson

In a message dated 3/17/2011 12:07:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,