[Durham INC] Wow! What a program for the March 22 Meeting!

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 22:49:55 EDT 2011

Dear Neighbors:

DeDreana, our transportation committee chair, and Mark Ahrendsen, head of
the city's Transportation Deapartment, have really put together an ambitious
program for us.  Let's respond to their work with a big INC turnout!  Every
delegate should attend.  The program is open, so invite your neighborhood
officers, board members, and traffic issues enthusiasts.

Load this email on your neighborhood listserves.

We will meet Tuesday, March 22, at 7 p.m. at first Presbyterian Church on
East Main Street, downtown.

Here is a preliminary program for the Transportation Workshop scheduled for
the meeting Tuesday night:

Welcome (DeDreana Freeman)

Overview of Agenda/Introduction of Presenters (Mark Ahrendsen)

The Vision - 2035 Long Range Transportation Plan (Andy Henry, Felix Nwoko) -
10 minutes

- Growth/Future Deficiencies
- Highways
- Transit
- Bike/Ped
- Other
- Financial Constraint

Triangle Regional Transit Program (Andy Henry, Meg Scully, Patrick
McDonough) - 10 minutes

- Alternatives Analysis (rail improvements - light rail and commuter rail)
- Bus improvements
- High speed rail

DATA/TTA Bus Service (John Tallmadge, Pierre Osei-Owusu) - 5 minutes

- Current bus service and short range service improvements
- Amenities/enhancements

TDM/TSM/ITS (TTA - John Tallmadge, Pierre Osei-Owusu, Dale McKeel, NCDOT) -
5 minutes

Transportation System Maintenance (NCDOT - Joey Hopkins/Battle Whitely, Ed
Venable, Phil Loziuk) - 10 minutes
- NCDOT resurfacing program
- City of Durham resurfacing program
- Other maintenance activities (e.g., rebuilding Revere Rd)
- Paving unpaid roads (City and NCDOT)
- Traffic signal system
- Signs and markings

Traffic Calming (Phil Loziuk, Wesley Parham) - 5 minutes

- Duke/Gregson
- Club Blvd
- Roxboro/Mangum/Markham
- Speed humps

Sidewalks (Dale McKeel, Ed Venable) - 5 minutes

- Durham Walks Pedestrian Plan
- Sidewalk construction projects

Other - 10 minutes

- Traffic Separation Study (Wesley Parham)
- Downtown Loop (Mark Ahrendsen)
- Duke Beltline (Dale McKeel)
- Other

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone Tuesday night!

Tom