[Durham INC] Take a walk around Durham (Herald-Sun)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 12:21:17 EDT 2011

Get some good exercise and take a walk around Durham
By Lewis Bowling,  Herald Sun, 31 Mar 2011

Now here is an event coming up in Durham that I am sure area residents will enjoy and benefit from.

On April 9 at 9 a.m., there will be a West Durham walking tour of historic landmarks of the neighborhood. Just meet at the corner of Ninth and Green streets. You can get some great exercise while learning about Durham history, and as readers of this column know, walking is an exercise I highly advocate.

This fun day, which is free of charge, will be led by John Schelp, a well-respected local historian. John will show and tell you, as you walk through a beautiful old neighborhood, about where Madonna took dance lessons in Durham early in her life, where the famous former football coach of Duke, Wallace Wade, lived, and where the "father of Duke basketball," Cap Card, lived. Walkers will see an old liquor house, where Richard Nixon once lived in Durham.

I can't think of a better way to spend a few enjoyable hours, than getting some good exercise in and learning about Durham history. Many other interesting structures, schools, houses and buildings will be talked about on this tour.

The walk is co-sponsored by the Sierra Club, Go Triangle, Clean Energy Durham, and the Old West Durham Neighborhood Association. If you would like more information, get in touch with me and I'll let you know more.

http://www.heraldsun.com