[Durham INC] Mercury in new light bulbs not being recycled, escaping to environment

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 10:18:32 EDT 2011

The point of the article seems mostly to be to ask folks to be responsible in their disposal of compact fluorescent lights.

Of course, in a state like NC that gets about 1/2 of its energy from coal, and with the current regulations on what can come out of a coal-fired plant's smokestack, there is more mercury released from coal burned to make power to light the old incandescent light-bulbs than in the CFL's.  The exact calculations vary -- newer CFLs have less Hg for one thing, and some people leave their CFLs on more -- but if you google the words lights mercury and coal, you'll get a selection of answers.

That said, I think banning incandescent bulbs is silly.  My short-hand for this kind of thing is, "It just annoys the alligators."  But I'm sure some legislators feel like they got brownie points for it.

Regards, pat