[Durham INC] Herald-Sun article: Monthly garbage, recycling fee sought

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Tue May 31 22:06:32 EDT 2011

My bad, Barry... I hadn't looked closely at the pile, just reported it when
 I saw it as I turned onto Roxboro.

But in general, a mattress or a couch, is no longer an illegal set  out.
Picking stuff up at the curb is actually another city service and the dept
does a pretty good job of making sure it's not out there very long.

I'm not sure how a landlord could avoid renting to future victims of
homicides. If I recall, it was a mother and daughter who were shot, should the
landlord refuse to rent because they looked like the kind of people who would
 get shot?

What is more likely to get the property owner's attention is improving the
neighborhood around his property. It will surely increase the neighbor's
vigilance reporting code violations, etc, because the neighbors are working
hard  and investing in their own property. At some point it becomes illogical
to keep  a $400 rental unit in the middle of a $900 a month neighborhood.
Some parts of  gentrification are due to the landlords fixing up their units
so they can double  the rent, often spurred on by the owner occupants just
trying to improve their  homes.

I've been in touch with this particular landlord, mostly to inform him that
 he's in the middle of a beautiful neighborhood, and to suggest he clean up
a  bit. (So I wasn't unhappy to see the pile of crap at the curb)
Property owner seemed like a nice guy who couldn't figure how such a nice
neighborhood could contain such a crummy apartment building like the one
right  behind his property.
I failed to supply him with a good answer.

Those nasty apartments do supply that particular property a good reason not
 to look like the rest of the street. How "negative" properties effect
"positive"  properties, as well as property values, seems to be at the heart of
what NIS is  shooting for. For us it might be quality of life, but property
values will do a  fine job of showing where the quality of life is rising or
falling.

We all know the sure fire way to raise the property values is to renovate
all the homes. But since we're all individuals, quality of life will mean
different things to each of us. Property values will follow more than just
the  houses, Duke Park is a fine example. How much of our property values are
effected by our intensely active community? Not just the Beaver Pageant
(this  Saturday at 4PM), but the impromptu bowling adventures, or the group who
trades  canned goodies, or the book club, etc, etc. If moving into a
neighborhood feels  more like joining a huge family, that's serious quality of
life stuff. Now look  at Duke Park, do you think that contributes to the
property values?
It means that in addition to fixing and maintaining our homes, we can
increase our property values just by enjoying our neighbor's company!   Party
together like Duke Park, and you might accidentally raise your property
values out of reach of the diverse community you'd most enjoy as part of your
family.
Tough problem to have since embracing diversity was part of our cool to
begin with.

I'm sure the city staff will dispose of the heap properly, and have a word
with the party responsible if they see that need.

Bill  "pardon that ramble" Anderson

In a message dated 5/31/2011 4:54:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,