[Durham INC] [INC Gay Marriage Resolutions

chloe palenchar cpalenchar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:53:48 EDT 2011

When Darius first brought this up yesterday, I thought, wow, good point-- INC should be careful about which issues it takes up. There isn't time and energy to take up every issue, and sometimes having a narrow focus can help keep an organization together and make it more effective on the issues is does take up. Additionally, Tom Miller has mentioned before that INC is a little gun shy about taking up issues that neighborhoods might disagree on-- the context for those comments was road projects. In an organization that is trying to organize across many neighborhoods, I would think that much like roads, some political issues are going to be divisive.

However, I would like to offer some thoughts on why this *is* a neighborhood issue. And it *is* a local issue.

First, I'll agree with Stacey Poston-- we as municipalities and neighborhoods are in competition with other municipalities and neighborhoods (and countries for that matter) to attract the "best and brightest" of all the people in the world. And I do think that being open to and supportive of a diverse group of people attracts the best and the brightest of people.

Second, neighborhoods are nothing more than a collection of people and built infrastructure (roads and houses). Denying domestic partner benefits to the people in your neighborhoods who are in same-sex relationship absolutely has a negative impact on them, and more and more often now, their children. Of course, many laws impact people, so this argument may be too broad to really help determine when an issue is a "neighborhood" issue or not.

Finally, the City of Durham offers Domestic Partnership benefits. I can *guarantee* you that if this amendment passes, Durham will be sued, and the City will lose its ability to offer those benefits. The reason is that the amendment is written *very* broadly, it bans recognition of any "legal domestic union" (an undefined term) "in" North Carolina. (Not "by" NC). Idaho has passed the exact same amendment as NC is proposing, and the State Attorney General penned a letter explaining that the city of Moscow could not, legally, offer health benefits to same-sex partners: http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/UserDocs/IdahoAGOpinion.pdf. In past searches I was also able to find a case in Michigan (which has different statute) where the University of Michigan was sued and found to no longer be allowed to offer benefits to same-sex couples- i.e. UNC will probably be sued. There are people who fear that the broadness of the language ("in NC"), may allow people to sue and win against private companies (e.g. Duke University).

Currently, "marriage" in the state of North Carolina is defined as being between one man and one woman. "Gay marriage" is not allowed here now. The very real, and very immediate impact of this amendment is to take away the possibility of any State institution, and possibly private companies, from offering domestic partner benefits.

-chloe
Old East Durham resident