[Durham INC] Events: Scrap Exchange (Re)Opening, photos, plays

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 19:33:12 EDT 2011

Events

Visual arts = blue, movies & plays = brown, music = red, dance = purple, and
others (including political events) = black

--------

September 9 & 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24 at 8:00 p.m.
September 18 at 2:00 p.m.

Glass presented by Little Green Pig Theatrical Concern
http://www.littlegreenpig.com/
Adapted from Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, this new telling
overlays J.D. Salinger's Glass family with the Wingfields. Two of the
mid-20th century's greatest dysfunctional families bring firepower and grace
to this re-imagined modern classic in the style of Little Green Pig's Three
Sisters (On Ice) and A Streetcar Named Desire.

Common Ground Theatre
4815B HILLSBOROUGH RD
DURHAM, NC 27705
To purchase E-mail tickets at littlegreenpig.com  or call (919) 452-2304

--------

September 8 ­ 10
September 15 - 17 8pm
11 & 18 2pm matinee

The Paper Hat Game

Can you fit an entire city in a theater?  How about inside a paper hat?
Duke Professor Torry Bend tells the story of notorious Chicago prankster,
The Paper Hat Guy, through the language of toy theater and projection.  With
dreamlike video designed by Raquel Salvatella de Prada, a gritty soundscape
and live puppetry, the performance offers a voyage into the psychological
and physical workings of a large city.

Video trailer: http://vimeo.com/28207327

For tickets:  https://tickets.duke.edu/Online/default.asp

Sheafer Theater, Bryan Center, Duke University West campus

---------

Weekend September 10-11

Scrap Exchange Grand (Re)Opening

live music, free art making, sales specials, artist demos, a Swap-O-Rama
Rama community clothing swap and more!

The celebration will begin on Saturday, September 10 when Durham Mayor Bill
Bell arrives for a ribbon cutting ceremony at 10am to open the store. The
Bulltown Strutters, a high-energy community street band, will be here during
the ceremony to provide music and lead a parade into the new space.

The retail store will be open from 10am-5pm on Saturday. Shoppers can enjoy
refreshments, a special cake  and more live music throughout the day.
Bands include The Eno Mountain Boys, The Blue Tailed Skinks, and Swag.
Scrap Exchange staff will be on hand to lead tours from 10am­12pm on
Saturday and talk about the creative reuse center's new home, its future and
its benefit to the community.

And how could we plan a celebration and not include artists?  Three artists
from our Artist Marketplace, Michelle Bonds, Christine Ramsey and Jeannette
Brossart, will be giving artist demos on Saturday.  And, since this weekend
marks the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks,  we will have a special,
thought-provoking art installation and film by guest artist Leon Grodski de
Barrera that was developed from his personal experience in New York City on
9/11 and the days that followed.

We've lined up several sales specials to celebrate as well!  The retail
store will kick off a ³Cash From Your Attic² fundraising promotion featuring
a special collection of antiques, collectibles and vintage items, all
specially priced at $20 each in honor of our 20 year anniversary as a
pioneer and leader in the creative reuse industry.  And if you like saving
money at The Scrap Exchange all year long, we will offer a $10 discount off
the purchase of any Friend's Club membership during the weekend.

The Scrap Exchange will also set up an Events by the Truckload demonstration
on Saturday where everyone can participate in free art making and experience
this popular style of outreach programming that has become a Scrap Exchange
hallmark.

Sunday 12:00 pm  through 4 pm
  Swap-O-Rama-Rama community clothing swap (through 4 pm)
  Music provided by DJ Piddypat

a giant community clothing swap that celebrates creativity over consumerism.
This event will take place in the Scrap Exchange party room from 12-4 pm.
Participants are asked to bring a bag of old clothing and a $10 suggested
donation ($5 for Friend's Club Members), and will be able to swap clothes
with other participants and take home as much clothing as they want! DIY
stations will also be set up during Swap-O-Rama Rama where participants can
experiment with altering clothes and redesigning old clothes to create new
outfits. Music will be provided by DJ Piddypat.

The Scrap Exchange
retail store phone: 919-688-6960
program office phone: 919-682-2751
Cordoba Center for the Arts
923 Franklin St, Bay 1 Durham, North Carolina 27701 (new location behind
Golden Belt)

www.scrapexchange.org <http://www.scrapexchange.org>

------------

Sunday, September 11, 2PM ­ 5PM
Through September 16

9/11 Memorial Exhibition with Photographs by Jenny Warburg, An Installation
by Steven Silverleaf and sculpture by Jim Lee

Please join us for an afternoon of Sharing and reflection to observe the
10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that occurred in New York City on
September 11, 2001.

Local artist, Steven Silverleaf, works in a variety of media in both
figurative and abstract styles.... Silverleaf's installation tells a story
about the frailty of our reality and the finite nature of our existence.

Jenny Warburg photos document the immediate aftermath of the terrorist
attacks... create a chilling portrait of New York City in a state of
immediate tragedy and loss.

Jim Lee's sculpture evokes the iconic imagery of the skeletal remains of the
Twin Towers.

Please join us this Sunday for an afternoon of quiet remembrance in the
presence of these commemorative works of art. The exhibition will be on view
at The Carrack until th, through Third Friday Durham.

The Carrack Modern Art
111 W Parrish St
Durham 27701
<http://www.durhamsculpture.org>