[Durham INC] Darius' Thoughts on Miller's Letter:

Darius Mercedes Little Darius.M.Little at alumni.unc.edu
Mon Sep 12 07:26:45 EDT 2011

While I have no personal qualms with Mr. Miller's letter, one of Mr. Ford's points which did touch me significantly is the factual assertion that:

1. INC passed a resolution;

2. The record clearly shows that while some will go to war over the matter, the issue was nowhere near being "amazingly, overwhelmingly" unanimous, as most INC matters end up being;

3. INC should welcome a diversity in thought, just as those who support same-sex marriage argue to its opponents that they should;

4. INC is an organization that needs growth (40 Neighborhoods) and making extremely divisive remarks, publicly, on behalf of "the organization" doesn't encourage currently non-participating neighborhoods (probably around 600-plus neighborhoods in Durham County??) from joining us. Besides that, "the organization" approved the language of a resolution (which is what the supporting neighborhoods approved, not Mr. Miller's personal statement, which was sent on behalf of "the organization);

5. Send the Approved Resolution to the delegation - without all of the extra gravy, pepper and onions.

6. Mr. Miller can send any personal statement he wants, just not as an expression of INC.

Mr. Ford: is that the crux of what you're saying?

Now, on Mr. Miller's behalf:

1. The letter Mr. Miller sent, while letterheaded as being from INC, was not to "the delegation," but only to Representative Leubke.

2. This would support the position that Mr. Miller was sending the Representative communication outlining the tenor of discussion, as it related to the matter at-hand.

3. Mr. Miller's letter is clearly encouraging the Representative to "not just vote against it" but to argue against it heavily.  As such, I feel that Miller was simply trying to help outline the points of debate, for a busy Representative.

For the record:  as someone who has worked for the Senate, as well as House of Representatives, it is VERY COMMON for a Representative/Senator to receive such type of communication.

4. Mr. Miller is the elected President of INC and as such, I personally feel that a President should always be given lead-way, in his/her advocacy for already-approved matters of business.

Tom is a nice fellow, and I've enjoyed getting to know him and his encouraging my participation in INC.  He quickly identifies individual talent and puts people in position to contribute to the group.  He's not bossy, he doesn't put down, insult, or accost the membership when they don't agree with him. And he doesn't leak your past transgressions to the media, in an effort to intimidate members when they question him on something.  Lastly, he always provides financial reports....I'm in one group where we haven't had a financial report in over 12 years, and if you question leadership, you get personally attacked, or find yourself in the newspaper all of a sudden.

I support Miller.

Yours,

Darius Little

Darius M. Little
Executive Business Consultant  and
Strategic Marketing Analyst

(web) www.linkedin.com/in/dariuslittle

Manta Business Profile/Report:
http://www.manta.com/c/mtlwj1m/little-s-business-consulting

"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." [Matt 21:22]