[Durham INC] marriage is not a civil right

Reyn Bowman reynbowman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:18:45 EDT 2011

Nobody is trying to change your mind.  Only you can open it to new
information and I hope you do that just as many of us have.

You were quick to take offense when there was none intended so I hope you
can see how offensive it seems to others when you seem so dismissive of Gays
and Lesbian rights in return.

While it may not be your intent but I hope you can see that the very words
you use to dismiss granting Gays and Lesbians their full civil rights under
marriage, especially use of terms such as "natural" were the same ones used
for decades and decades by ministers, lay and secular alike to rationalize
the denial of full rights to African-Americans.

As one of the less offensive examples, below is a reference given at the
outbreak of the Civil War, 150 years ago this past March, by Alexander H.
Stephens the Vice President of the Confederate States of America:

“Our new government [The Confederate States of America] is founded upon
exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone
rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man;
that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal
condition.”

--
Reyn Bowman
2203 Shoreham St