[Durham INC] Voting Issues

Richard Ford rbford at aim.com
Tue Oct 4 17:41:54 EDT 2011

All,

I am writing, as I believe I will miss the October meeting due to business travel.

There was concern expressed at the September meeting about the roadblock creating by attending but abstaining members to INC taking positions on public issues.  A suggestion was made to examine changing the super majority voting to only count those present and voting.  The abstainers would not be counted, as they are not voting.

In my short (2 meetings) history with INC, we have had abstentions for several different reasons.  In August, a number of associations abstained because they felt the resolutions being presented went beyond the scope of INC.  If the voting rules are changed, I think they should/would vote No in the future as they actually do object to the resolution. So they are not the issue.

Then in Sept we had several associations abstain because they had not had time to get approval of their associations.  As we have considered 5 resolutions in the last two meetings, with various revisions and time frames, it is not surprising that some associations need more time.  As I recall on at least two resolutions, (open spaces and the 1/4 cent tax) we have not actually had a presentation on them.   These associations are willing to vote, but need more time.  So we don’t need to change the rules for voting for them, as much as we need a timetable to present resolutions.

My association Downing Creek is in this position.  Our board wants to vote and we are developing mechanisms to let our owners tell what they thinking, but this will take us some time, both to develop interest in our owners generally and to present them with information for their consideration each tim

Finally we had two, I think, associations who do not feel they can vote on any public policy issues for their owners.  If they represented a large number of member associations, that might justify a voting change, but it does not seem to me they are the crux of the problem.

Looking at the Transit resolution, we only have 7 associations our of our entire  40? members showing up and voting for it.  That is the problem.  If associations are not engaged, then we can end up with a dedicated minority pushing thru  resolutions.  I don’t think that is how to influence public debate, nor how to keep INC a vital public institution in Durham. 7 associations out of 40 is less than 20%.

So I would recommend against a voting change until we understanding the lack of engagement  by members of INC and what steps we need to take. I think we all need to take a step back from our passions for this or that resolution to understand our institutional issues and to strengthen INC>

I have a final request, as a new rep from an association that wants to be more involved, I would appreciate any information on how other members inform their owners, find out their views and how these boards act to vote. I am very interested in helping Downing Creek to find its voice in INC and to help INC become even more vital to Durham’s neighborhoods.

Dick