[Durham INC] Abstain from voting

David Harris harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 20:59:28 EDT 2011

Hi members, with reference to the statement I made at Tuesday meeting stating that to abstain was considered a positive vote. I was incorrect in my statement.

From Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised 11th Edition
Chapter 2: The Conduct of Business in a Deliberative Assembly
Section 4: The Handling of a Motion
Page 45: Line 16 states To “abstain” means not to vote at (which is a negative vote)

Definitions from the dictionary
Abstention
1.      an act or instance of abstaining.
2.      withholding of a vote.
Abstaining
1.      to hold oneself back voluntarily, especially from something regarded as improper or unhealthy
2.      to refrain from casting one's vote
Neutrality
1.      the state of being neutral.
Neutral
2.      not taking part or giving assistance in a dispute
3.      not aligned with or supporting any side or position in a controversy: The arbitrator was absolutely neutral.
Recuse
1.      to disqualified oneself to act in a particular case, especially because of personal interest or bias.
2.      to withdraw from a position of judging so as to avoid any semblance of partiality or bias.
To recuse yourself mean to remove yourself once the topic is put on the floor, so you will not participate in the discussion/debate/vote on the motion or topic.
To abstain or recuse oneself is on a volunteer basic, all members have a right to vote regardless if personal interest is present.

Thanks
David Harris
919-906-2023