[Durham INC] Information on Nov 8 election: please don't sit this one out!

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 22:54:56 EST 2011

The Durham County Resolution clearly states that:
"The NC General Assembly has given authority to counties to seek voter approval to increase sales taxes for a specific purpose," and I have been told by reasonable sources that this is the case.

I do not understand how informing the public that this sales tax is to be used solely for education can be equated to advocating for a position. What is more wrong is to be prohibited from informing the public about what their taxes are paying for.

Yes, the majority of the tax is going for teachers jobs, the rest is for DPS debt reduction, which will only free up $ that the admin, school board and parents/teachers can advocate for use in the classroom and for teachers.

It is well known that education funding is being slashed at the state and federal levels. The county will have to make up for this or our schools and our kids will greatly suffer, as will our prisons as a result no doubt.

As for discussing this via the INC listserv, I see no better forum. INC has always been a place for discussion. This tax directly affects everyone in Durham. All views should be accommodated and discussed, but there should be no prohibition against a person stating (or pleading) their side of an issue.

If we can debate same-sex couples and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, surely we can debate how to improve funding for our schools.

Again, we may all wish that all of this sales tax goes directly to pay teachers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't vote for this much needed funding for our schools.

Please read the County Commissioners' resolution carefully, as well as the other links I provided.

Not informing the public that the large majority of this tax is expressly earmarked for our teachers and our schools is a sad requirement.

Sincerely,
Melissa Rooney