[Durham INC] Day trips; Triangle places; kids classes; events

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 14:23:31 EST 2011

Feel free to pass this information along.

There are a number of reasons why I offer suggestions about going places together whether in the Triangle and/or taking a day trips. I like for people take advantage of opportunities in our backyard. Holidays, and really every day, are great times to revisit familiar places and explore new ones with family, friends, company and co-workers. I believe that there is not a better gift than to hang out with family and friends.

Day trips within North Carolina

-------

Day Trips to Virginia

Southern Virginia

Fairy Stone State Park
Route 2, Box 723
Stuart, VA 24171
Home of the lucky fairy stones, Fairy Stone is well known for its 168-acre lake adjoining Philpott Reservoir just minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. The park offers cabins, a campground, group camping, a conference center, a lodge that sleeps 16, numerous trails, beach swimming, rowboats, canoes, paddle boats, hydro-bikes, picnicking and two playgrounds, including one in the water. Watch the sunset as you enjoy a paddle boat on the lake. Get back to nature by hiking a trail.
www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fai.shtml
http://www.virginia.org/Listings/OutdoorsAndSports/FairyStoneStatePark/

Stone Cross Mountain Museum presents a self-guided tour through various gems and mineral specimens, including the Staurolite Crystal, also known as Fairy Stones!

----

Virginia Museum of Natural History  (276) 634-4141 (recommended, not visited)
21 Starling Avenue
Martinsville, VA 24112
Martinsville - Virginia Museum of Natural History is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and houses more than 22 million objects in its collection.
Experience the natural diversity of Virginia! With over 22 million items in our collections, the museum is at the forefront of scientific discovery of the natural world in Virginia. Our eight scientists actively engage in research on subjects ranging from dinosaurs to millipedes and the museum shares our new discoveries with exhibits, programs, publications, field trips, and teacher education.
Museum hours: Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The museum is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Fee.
http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Museums/VirginiaMuseumofNaturalHistory/
http://www.vmnh.net

-------

Triangle new places to explore and revisit (see the attachment)

There are a number of reasons why I offer suggestions about what is available in the Triangle and our vicinity. I like to promote and desire that people take advantage of opportunities in our backyard. Holidays and every day are good times to go with family, friends, company, co-workers and to take time for yourself to see the great things that the Triangle has to offer.

Triangle places include
·      Amtrak

·      Active Activities

·      Art Materials

·      Children’s Activities and for the Young-at-Heart

·       Desserts

·      Educational Activities

·      Galleries

·      Gardens

·       Historical Sites, Buildings & Memorabilia

·       Museums

·      Museum Stores

·      Nature Observing

·      Outdoor Recreation

·       Stores―Local, Independently Owned

------

I am looking for suggestions for ---
places to visit in North Carolina, Virginia and South Carolina (including hiking trials.)

In the Triangle I am looking for additional ---
favorite places to visit,
where adults and kids can take classes,
who has performance series, (especially out of doors,)
list serves and web sites for events, activities and places to go (especially visual and performing arts),
restaurants, cafes and dessert places,
independent, locally owned, fair trade businesses and North Carolina chain stores,
favorite plant nurseries,
additional suggestions for “goofing off” and
events.

--------

Events and Activities (for more see the attachment)

I highly recommend seeing the movie "Hugo" in 3D.

-------

Through December 31
Sunday - Thursday: 5 - 9 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 5 10 p.m.
Closed Dec. 25

Holiday Lights

Christmas tree created with hundreds of orchids. the Orchid Tree is on display inside in the Visitor Pavilion so that you may see it as well as the train between 9 - 5. Featuring the theme, A Vintage Christmas, Holiday Lights will showcase about a half million lights, a breathtaking Christmas tree created with hundreds of orchids, carriage rides. Custom-designed train display from Metrolina Model Railroaders. Live entertainment.

http://www.dsbg.org/events_detail.php?id=1710#title

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden (704) 825-4490
6500 South New Hope Rd., Belmont, NC 28012 (just west of Charlotte, easily accessible from I-85)
Open seven days a week: 9 am to 5 pm. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
Admission FEE.
http://www.dsbg.org/index.php

-------

Through April 8, 2012
*Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day.

Mummies of the World (for more details see the events attachment)

Embark on a journey into the extraordinary world of mummies and mummification. Through modern science, engaging interactive and multi-media exhibits featuring 3-D animation, explore how mummies are created, where they come from and who they were.
http://mummies.discoveryplace.org/plan-a-visit

Hours
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: noon - 5:00 p.m.

All tickets are for timed-entry so visitors will be asked to select a date and time of their visit.

Laura