[Durham INC] Correction: Zoning Case Z1100024 is NOT in a floodplain

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 14:36:31 EST 2011

I apologize for my misinterpretation of the context map for zoning case Z1100024.

The copy of the map I received makes the parcel appear to be located in the area to the east of the Nimitz Ave - Isenhour Street intersection. On my copy, this area appears both darkened and striated, which would indicate that it is the case area. Upon further inspection of another copy of the map, I now have concluded that my map was confusing due to low ink or something.

The zoning area I interpreted is also a much larger area (by about 5 x) than the actual case area, which is located to the west of the aforesaid intersection.

Any time I see a development rezoning containing a floodplain, I contact the planning commissioners and the city council requesting that no development be allowed in the floodplain. In fact, given all the development that has happened in Durham and its affects on our existing floodplains, there should be buffers adjacent to floodplains.

I agree with Mike Woodard that the JCCPC (joint city county planning commission) and the planning department try to encourage/influence development such that floodplains are not impacted and that we do have ordinances protecting floodplains. However, development has been allowed in floodplains in past cases in which I've been involved. This is also indicated by the recent information sent with our last water bills indicating that Durham citizens are responsible for drainage systems on their property and that they should take care to determine whether their property is located in a floodplain (among other places) before buying that property.

While I sincerely believe that our ordinances should stipulate that flood plain areas are not developed or altered in any way, I apologize that I misinterpreted this case as a prime example of floodplain rezoning/development that should not be allowed.

Again, I am sorry for misinterpreting the maps and raising a stir. And I am sorry for the inconvenience to Mike Woodard and any others.

For now, I will continue to take note of any developments that contain floodplains and will make the INC and others aware when there is concern. If we find that future floodplains are being altered/developed, then a resolution could be considered.

While I know I am far from perfect, I do correct any misinformation I have communicated as soon as I am aware of it.

Thanks for your understanding...
I hope all of you have a safe and relaxing holiday.

Sincerely,
Melissa (Rooney)