[Durham INC] Fw: FYI - reminder of transit hearing

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 06:54:00 EST 2012

If we look more broadly at "preservation," there isn't any conflict between TOD and preservation, given that the alternatives to density are (1) no growth and (2) more people commuting from Alamance and the counties east of Raleigh, with all that means for destroyed farmland, greenhouse gases and stress on people spending too much time in their cars.  Obviously the TOD can be better or worse designed.  I'm not sure what long-term damage a crossing by a light rail system does -- quite a bit less than a road?
The I40, NC54 Corridor study is MUCH bigger than the light rail routing.  http://www.nc54-i40corridorstudy.com/  It includes land use for another TOD center, lots of highway construction for all the people who will be driving to the TOD, and immense pain to those of us who live north and south of the study area.
Regards, pat