[Durham INC] Is this fire risk in your attic?

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 23:46:33 EST 2012

My sister's house caught fire this afternoon.  The fire was in the attic and coming through the roof when she discovered it.   The fire department arrived within minutes and had the fire out before the fire spread from the roof.  They found the cause, a small box nailed to the rafters.  It was the transformer for an old door bell.

If you have an older home with a door bell that was removed, check to make sure the transformer was disconnected in the attic.  Often DIY re-modelers will simply snip the low-voltage wires when they remove a door bell and tuck the wires into the wall.  This was the case at my sister's house.

Christine Chamberlain